shudder when braking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

shudder when braking

Post by druist »

My citroen xantia diesel TDS has just started developing this problem, i have had a slow puncture in the front tyre, dont know if this contributes, but i am getting this sort of shuddering in the front when i brake, not so noticeable at slow speeds. any ideas?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

This could be one of a few things.
Firstly, warped discs can cause shuddering under braking, usually accompianied by some sort of noise that coincides with the shuddering. The top slides on the front calipers can become dry and need occasional lubrication, I've had this on both cars I've had a little bit of oil makes it go away completely.
Lastly, if your accumulator sphere is flat or if you get air into the hydraulics that can cause pulsing of the brake pedal and brakes.
druist

Post by druist »

could it be the brake pads?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I don't think the pads can cause shudder, not unless there is something really badly wrong with them, i.e. very un-evenly worn or crumbling.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I had a problem like this on my ZX, where one of the pads parted from its metal backing (glue failed) and they were only half worn. A new set of pads cured the shudder.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Worthwhile putting another wheel on in place of the one with the slow puncture. It sounds as though its been leaking air for some time and you may have damaged the tyre itself due to overheating or some other cause.
Then having eliminated this possible cause let us know if it still does it.
Jeremy