Timing Belt Cost?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duncs

Timing Belt Cost?

Post by Duncs »

I recently bought a 306 1.8LX Auto. I want to have the timing belt changed as a precaution. How much should I expect to pay? Local Pug dealer quoted £300 inc vat including a P1 service (basically oil/filter and a few checks). They also quoted an extra £58 inc vat to change the auto transmission fluid. Are these prices reasonable [?]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

They seem to be average main bandit prices - seek out a good independant or local garage you trust / has been recomended.
I expect it you would be qouted rughly half what the dealer wants to charge.
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

Post by David Hallworth1 »

i just had the timing belt done on my HDi, by a dealer in Paisley called Jonstons of Renfrewshire (Spelling!) and they charged me £150 to supply and fit a new timing belt, thought that was very reasonable!
David.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

That sounds a reasonable amount from a Peugeot dealer. I was quoted over £400 for a 72,000 mile service on my 306 Dturbo back in 2001, which included a cam belt change. I went to a local independent garage who did the service and belt change for just over £200.
I’m not sure about the cost of a gearbox oil change but it sounds like they are charging for an hours labour which seems a bit excessive.
In my humble option, unless your car is still under warranty it’s not worth taking it to a main dealer and paying them around £50 pounds an hour to work on your car. A good independent garage will charge a lot less in labour and save you a lot of money.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Absolutely agree with the above. My local pug dealer charges £69.50 an hour!!
A decent independent is far better than a (pug) dealer, in my experience, and much cheaper.
Does the auto transmission fluid need changing?
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to try Pugbitz (other side of town, but hopefully worth the drive).
Q from macaroni-Does the auto transmission fluid need changing? I don't when it was last changed and the colour/smell of the fluid is OK, but the box can sometimes be a little jerky.
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

Just been quoted £115 inc for a new timing belt, tensioner and a water pump
shop around
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

£115 is almost too cheap for that lot, as the parts alone are about £60, and that's trade prices. Belt and pump takes a minimum of 3 hours, probably more like 5 if done properly, so I would be wary of that.
flux
My Cars:

Post by flux »

I've used this garage many times, well it's almost a shack really, his labour costs are almost non-existant because of this, he's always done a great job.
Duncs

Post by Duncs »

Pugbitz quoted £400, but that's a full 72K service with coolant change, brake fluid change, semi-synth oil,air filter, fuel filter, timing belt, full check-out etc and auto trans fluid and filter (Pug dealer didn't mention the filter). I'd rather pay £40 more and have it done properly (and the guy knew what he was talking about - more than can be said of the official Pug man).