The wifes vibrating VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigbassguitar
My Cars:

The wifes vibrating VSX

Post by bigbassguitar »

<b></b><u></u>HELP HELP HELP
<b></b><u></u>
We have a beautiful low mileage 88k Xantia Td VSX all leather air con etc, its the wifes pride and Joy, I have a similar shed !
Now to the problem, it has developed a severe vibration from about 45mph through to 55-60 under load and then you can drive through it and everything is fine, even decelerating does'nt produce the symtoms.
Vibration is evident through gear stick and the brake pedal bounces on its stop.
We have had new tyres fitted, and wheels balanced.
Its Not Drop links.
Engine mountings seem to be ok, and engine movement equel to my shed which does'nt have this problem.
Can anyone suggest where we should look next ?
All suggestions greatfully received.
Many thanks
Rolf
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Had a similar one on a mates VSX, wobbling gearlever, shaking the whole car under load/acceleration, lift off and all goes away, that one was a driveshaft that needed repacement.
Stewart
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

First thing is to osolate the engine.
When you have the vibration dip the clutch, does it continue or stop?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Could be a very knackered Driveshaft joint (not sure if they're triax joints on these or not) causing problems. I have had identical symptoms to this, but it was a dead propshaft UJ on a rear wheel drive car.
Could also be worn suspension bushes amplifying a small vibration from somewhere else. Can the vibration be felt through the steering wheel too?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the gearstick is moving, that means the engine and gearbox are rocking too. I'd suggest driveshafts as suggested above or soft / worn engine mounts. Bent driveshafts can cause the same sort of problem too.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

My XM had similar problems at 230,000 miles, and it turned out to be a cracked driveshaft universal joint, a quarter of it had snapped clean though and was flexing open under load but closing off load, it took the garage about 4 months to isolate that one!