Personal Registration plate RRG 2 Y

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

Personal Registration plate RRG 2 Y

Post by wilkobob »

Anyone any ideas of the value of this plate?
I ask as its on a car i have, which has been off the road for the past 7-8 years. To MoT it to get the plate off, it needs extensive welding (not much of a problem), replacement front bumper (i have also) rear lights sorting (i have spares), a drivers window (some jippo kicked it in, so have to get one), brakes need sorting (have fully working spares on donor car) and basically, it needs to be gotten running. Once running and plate is removed, the car is worthless anyway.
I cant see it costing me much more than £100 to get the car roadworthy and MoT'd (I have a spare donor car)
Is it worth a weekend and £100 sorting it?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Value to me, Nil. Value to someone with the initials RRG, possibly a fair bit. There are companies about who will give you a rough idea as to the value of a registration plate. Look in auto-trader as a starting point.
I once had NBK 30Y valued at about £150, so a single-numeral plate must be worth a bit more than that, probably.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

As far as I know, the car doesn't have to be a runner to get an MOT - although the tester might baulk at the idea somewhat!
Of course, if it's a HP Citroen, that's another matter.
(Come to think of it, if I'm right, what would they do re. emissions?!)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Correct me if I'm wrong but if there is no engine fitted to a car, it doesn't have to go through an emissions test.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I've got the registration VIA 69 and its apparently worth £2500 according to newreg.com, so yours might be worth a fair bit, i'd say it was definatly worth rescuing
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well ive emailed those at regtransfers.co.uk to find out what they think. The car incidentally isnt a citroen (its one of those awful ford sierra things). It wouldnt take alot (possibly one weekend) to get it going. Id say theres more work taking the engine out, than getting it to run. When it ran last year (i had it going a bit) it didnt smoke or do anything drastic, so i guess its probably out of date petrol thats giving me grief.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Got an email from the people at regtransfers saying if they sold it for me, id get £600. Not bad, so makes it worthwhile.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Be aware you could have it on their "books" for a long time - tried to get rid of DAP 76B which I had on the ZX - reg people said £400 but after 7 months still no interest, so I traded it with my local garage who was restoring a Spridget and wanted an "old" plate for that. Got a water pump and full service for the plate.
Happy enough.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think you'd be better off advertising the number than using an agency. If you look at any of these agencies' adverts there are thousands of numbers, what are the chances of somebody picking out your one?
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I suppose. I really just wanted a value. Althogh the plate has no personal meaning to me, I might put it on my ZX yet, just because a shorter number looks better in my opinion.