Xantia 16v 1.8 Head Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Xantia 16v 1.8 Head Issue

Post by citroenxm »

Hi.
Just purchased a 1.8 16v Xantia, 1997 R reg, for a small sum of 165quid. BUT.... The cam belt has snapped..
Firstly, do these heads, valves and cams survive a break??? I know pleanty of the diesel engines, but the petrol engines are reasonably new to me..
Any one give me a clue ...
If I need a head, any one got a CHEAP one ??
Thanks
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Its unlikely to have survived, but if you think it has, just fit a new timing belt and do a compression test, if its low, then take the head off and see what the damage is, the head is unlikely to be damaged though, but some bent valves are fairly common as a minimum
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you've got prlenty of time you could try and fit another belt and then see if it turns over and has any compression.
However as the valves are angled I'm sure something will have hit, bending the valve and possibly damaging the piston. I'd remove the head and have a look as I'm sure some damage has been done.
As the valves are angled they and the pistons will probably be the only components damaged - unlike the diesels where the camshaft snaps and so do its bearings.
jeremy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

id be very surprised if there are no bent valves.there was a recall on this engine for the timing belt breaking which included a modified tensioner & roller.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Bent valves at least, check also the valve guides and seals.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I recently did this job on a 2.0 16V where 4 valves had been bent. As I had another head which was a 'Known good one' it was easier to just do a swap.
I'd be very surprised if there was no damage.