Another Rear problem!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Another Rear problem!

Post by adzbaby »

lo,
I have just tackled the problem with the HG in the VSX 1.9 TD Xantia I bought off ebay last crimbo, I bunged my spare engine in there and all is hunky dory with that.
However, the car when purchased had a perfectly operating suspension, but after it sitting about in my garden for long stints without me starting and driving it, the suspension is being a pain and not playing ball.
<u><b>Status:</b></u>
I have peformed 'citerobics'.
The plastic clip is still present.
The front and rear will go to max height from low height, and drop to low height.
The front will go to ride height from either max or low.
The rear will not rise or drop to ride height.
I have searched through a number of posts with similar probs and am going to have a good clean up of the 'linkages' (which parts are these linkages?) with some WD40 and then grease.
Are there any other possible reasons for this behaviour? COuld the HC be knackered/clogged, would it behave like it is if this were the case?
I really want this sorted ASAP after all the work that has gone into the car as I need to sell the bugger.
Cheers, Adam.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you look at the thing that the plastic clip connects to (not the bracket on the anti-roll bar) that is one of the linkages.
The other linkage is the thing that the lever from inside the car connects to and has a stainless spring wrapped around it (which the long rod that goes to the lever connects to). The linkage that the plastic link connects to can be prone to sticking, as can the other linkage, make sure that the first one is absolutely free and that the second one isn't too sticky / stiff.
The other thing that can go wrong is that if it the linkages seize up the clip on the anti roll bar can "adjust" istelf instead of adjusting the suspension height.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Spraying the height correctors and associated parts generously with WD40 and then greasing liberally helped me deal with a similar problem on my BX.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Have a plough through the first dozen or so here and I think you might pick up a few clues.
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewforum.php ... bcf4d6a9b2
Alan S
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I have discovered the problem!!!
See below:
The rod that comes away from the anti roll bar clamp and has one end of the plastic clip attached had snapped!
Luckily as I have a couple of Xantia carcasses laying around the garden I had one spare and have stuck it on. However, although I have put it one and orientated in the right way (methinks?!) The rear still won't sit at ride height. How does the angle to which this plastic clip sits at, affect the suspension height?
I have wd40'd and greased up the linkages as well, so this should help. I am going to do some citerobics now and see if it loosens the linkages a bit, fingers crossed!
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

I have just spent an hour or 2 staring at the rear HC as my missus put the car through a thorough citerobics session, how exciting[:(]. I sprayed a whole can of WD40 on there and slowly but surely the mechanism started to free up!! Woo hoo.
It was hard keeping the lady entertained during the processes so I would occasionally scream as the car was going down [:)] and pretend the car was crushing my skull (it was on ramps).
I realise why the above rod snapped as I observed the anti roll bar turning as the car went up and down and the clip rotated with it. With the mechanism rusted tight the rod snapped under the pressure! It isn't there completely, it's still getting stuck slightly and needs an occasional jump on the boot lid to get it to rise and fall but hopefully as the wd40 penetrates this eve and more applications tomorrow and then grease, it should be A ok.