Xsi / GTI6 Throttle Body Swap

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linchpin

Xsi / GTI6 Throttle Body Swap

Post by Linchpin »

Hey guys, same issue :(
Turns out now, I may have an oppertunity to get a GTI-6 Throttle body to replace the one on my XSi. Any idea if this will fit / Work? Or can I just transplant the sensors from one to the other?
Cheers in advance.
Kev
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Unsure, but if it has the same basic dimensions and the sensors can fit, I'm sure it will work. A common 205 upgrade is to change the throttle bodt from one from a VAG type car.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Any idea if this will add any more power to the car?
Cheers
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Not if the MAF sensor isn't reprogrammed to account for the extra air or the ECU can't handle what the throttle position sensor is telling it.
I changed the throttle body on my BMW to a bored out version and the difference was minimal. It revved a touch better but that was it. Ideally the MAF should detect the extra air flow and compensate by adding more fuel thus = more power, but only if there was a restriction in the first place. Without studying the differences between both throttle bodies I'm unsure as to whether there would be any extra air flow. Also remember, petrols suck air in more than diesels to the the induction stage of the cycle, so the intakes aren't quite as crucial as far as minor restrictions go. Obviously a big restriction will starve the car and make it strangled at higher rpms (I'm using BMW M52 engines as another example here) but that usually means blocked air filter or a dead cat stuck in the MAF pipe! If you do find any differences, I'm sure they'll be minor.
Ideally, cams with a longer duration should be used as this will make better use of more air, but this is a tad more costly! I'd get an ECU remap, a better air filter for starters. You'll see better gains.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

To be honest, im not really all that bothered about extra power.
Just a car that dosent stall all the time. I have a Pipercross induction kit and cold air feed on it ;)
Chrispy
My Cars:

Post by Chrispy »

Hmmm...shoving those on it shouldn't make it stall. Does your car have a lambda sensor? Any extra air shove be compensated for with extra fuel thus making the mixture correct and not too lean. If the lambda sensor's out then that could explain the stalling. Failing that the MAF is kaput....
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Yes, it has a Lambda sensor
It passed the emissions test, if that helps.