Paint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Paint

Post by rossnunn »

Right, now the sun is kinda out (I'll not shout too loud) I'm thinking nows the time to slap some paint on all the bits that need it (16v kit, spoiler, eyebrows, doors etc) so here's my question;
Is the paint code the number stamped on the top of the wing, just down from the strut tower on the driver side? It matches one of the lines of numbers/letters on the vin plate.
Mine is a '95 N plate Elation the paint is called Tahiti Green. Am I right??
Pic of the car:
http://web.onetel.com/~glynnunn/cl/zxb.jpg
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

If you paint a Xantia (or other mica parts) rear hatch remember that you need an undercoat and that the paint is special as the hatch body is a mica composition. Sorry, can not help on paint code. Are you using clear over base? Am interested if you have attempted this before. Last time I had severe problems doing corrective paint work on a 1995 Xantia. Hope this helps.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Fairly sure the undercoat for green is black - you get a very odd colour if you use grey primer.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

paint code on the car is usually on one of the wings under the bonnet. for my car its 5 digits long (EWTCS, which is white), and is stamped in large black letters. I painted part of my rear bumper where it got cracked, and a spoiler for my car using normal cellulose gery primer, and celulose paint. If yours is metallic, you will need laquer as well, although the paint shop will confuse you with all this. When I spray stuff up, I usually use 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of base coat, and 2 lots of laquer on top, generally with a fair bit of wet and dry inbetween some coats (where there are imperfections).
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

dont forget to polish up the final coat of colour before laquering otherwise it will appear dull! best bet is to allow to harden enough and use a light cutting compound, when done, a light rub with 1200+ sand papaer to key the new surface and then laquer and it should come up shinning!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

That would be my old bodykit :)
I painted the Visa's doors and bodykit 2 weeks ago. Needed more paint than I though but I had to do some filler primer before. Going to leave the paint couple more weeks to harden before rubbing down with some 1400 I picked up then I can put on all the relevant competition sticks to cover up any nasty remaining bits. I used grey primer for the doors which are white and red plastic primer for the bodykit which was then done in black. Dont know what you would use for green
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh thanks all the kit is your old one Visa & your bootlid lol.
I have a paint company next to where I work & have some favours out standing, so will be calling them in. The ZX will have everything sprayed other than the roof. I'm not goinging to be spraying it either, a friend is a sprayer by trade & he said he'd do it if I provide him with everything.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Shouldnt cost too much if done with a compressor etc. As I was just doing the Visa's doors and bodykit I did it with cans and due to being used for competition with a high chance of hitting things it doesnt have to be perfect :)