ZX TD Problem erratic idling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

ZX TD Problem erratic idling

Post by wilkobob »

It appears I have unwanted cruise control on my ZX TD. When driving along, there is a judder, and all of a sudden its pulling without my foot on the accelerator. If you dip the clutch, it idles at between 2000rpm and 3000rpm, then after a few mins of driving, theres another judder, and we have control back. The injection pump is the Lucas one. I have no idea whats up with it, help.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

sticky throttle, give it a good spray of carb cleaner
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Daft one - its not the carpet/mat getting caught up? Have nearly replaced the clutch cable and did replace the throttle cable after reports of hidden power from our ZX 1.9D
Jeremy
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Not the carpet, thought of that at first. Its also not the cable sticking, as the lever/arm is returning to the stop. Help!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Lucas pump? [:o)]
How many miles has it done? Lucas pumps are known to suffer from the front bearing breaking up, the internals falling apart, and general malaise after about 150k miles. They are also not at all tolerant of air leaks, so check the leak off hoses, primer, filter etc for signs of leaking. Assume you are not being accompanied by a James Bond style smoke screen at the same time? This would indicate a problem with the engine consuming it's own oil. However, I think you are looking at pump problems. Hopefully it will be just an air problem, but....
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

As far as im aware, there are no "air problems" but since Ive had the car, 11 months, 16k miles, Ive never had the primer bulb go hard (probably just a dodgey bulb), but its still primed (and its always been difficult to start when hot, cold it fires straight up). The car has done 116K miles, so id assume the pump has done the same. I cant find any air leaks in the fuel system. I have put a one way valve inbetween the fuel filter and the pump, as I thought that this could be the source of the leak.
The problem is getting worse, as its done it a few times before, but I didnt worry about it, now yesterday it did it for about an hour, and was really worrying.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Oh, and theres no smoke.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is it a Lucas / derivative pump or a Bosch?
jeremy
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

its a lucas pump