Peugeot 306 problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JonJop

Peugeot 306 problem

Post by JonJop »

Please help...
Just bought a 306 Hdi D-turbo (1999) as soon as I got it home I started having some problems with the alarm and locking the car.
Basically everything is fine, you turn the engine off, get out and press the button to lock the car...it locks, then unlocks straight away and the alarm beeps once. Sometimes you can try it 2 or 3 times and it is fine and will lock, but within about an hour the alarm will go off. Same happen with the key, if you try and lock the car with the key it lock and unlocks straight away (no alarm sound though) It's driving me mad as I am having to leave the car unlocked. It is very random and doesn't always follow the same pattern. Does anyone have a solution???? It could be something simple (battery etc) or it could be a broken wire or alarm sensor button???? But I need to get it sorted asap.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The alarm beeping once when you are locking is a clue.
It sounds like the switch on one of the door latches or its wire between the door & the A post is faulty, The car thinks the door isnt shut correctly & unlocks the doors again.
The early 306s DID suffer from wiring problems between the doors & A posts, But I would have thought Peugeot would have fixed that problem by 1999.
Have you tried unplugging the alarm control unit or pulling the fuse & then locking the car?
Do the deadlocks work?
NOTE: The alarm has a battery back up & any attempt to unplug it or pull the fuse WILL set the siren off for 5 minutes, Check in the handbook first before trying either of the things Ive posted.
JonJop

Post by JonJop »

The deadlock do work, I did have a look at the wires last night...couldn't see any broken wires...BUT...I took off the multi plug on the driver door and put it back again...the doors locked fine but at about 3am this morning the alarm was going off again!! I have read elsewhere that you can short out the system by placing a wire between 2 of the terminals on the central locking sensor, but I would have thought that this will either damage the system or disable the central locking and or alarm...
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Yes you can short out the door switches so it doesn't sense the door isn't shut, BUT, The alarm wont then sense that a door has been opened & its up to the ultrasonic sensors to trigger the alarm if someone forces the door open.
The alarm system, The central / deadlocking system & The remote locking are all 3 separate units.
Its the door sensors that are part of the alarm system that are causing you the trouble.
The alarm uses the switches that are built into the doorlatch to see if a door is open, ajar or shut, If the door isnt shut you get the beep when you go to lock the car & it unlocks again.
If you have a multimeter & find the alarm control unit you can test which door switch is causing you trouble & fix it.
JonJop

Post by JonJop »

Hi,
Thanks for that, I am assuming that it is the drivers door as after I plugged the multi plug in (tightly) it locked with no problems but as I said the alarm did still go off. As far as I am aware in the door shutting mechanism there is a tiny switch conecting the alarm. I haven't managed to find it yet but others have suggested spraying WD40 in the door locks etc to free everything up. Very annoying and for Peugeot to sort it out it is going to cost me just over £400...not good. I am always a bit afraid of messing around with alarm systems as I don't want to spike the alarm and bugger it up. I think on a short term I might have to short the system with the wire under the rear seats and when I next get change to go back to my parents I could get an electrician to have a look at it. Nightmare though. I guess as long as the ultra sonics are working it would pick up any movement in the car if someone did break in...I might try it out and see how good the ultra sonics are
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The door switches always go faulty after a few years, The drivers one is the first to go.
The same with the alarm bonnet sensor.
Letting a Peugeot garage lose on the alarm system wouldn't be much help either, But it would be expensive!
I know on the earlier Peugeots with this alarm system the switches are just clipped onto the bottom of the door latch & are about £3 each from Peugeot.
Yours is a later car with deadlocking, I dont know if the switches are still separate or part of the latch, There has also been a modification to these latches by Peugeot, They are about £70 new.
If you end up needing a new latch then a scrapyard might be a cheaper option.
On the ultrasonics front, Give them about 45 seconds to set first & then try them out.
JonJop

Post by JonJop »

your a star thanks for all your help. Is changing the latches a fairly simple task, it looks is as there are only 4 star bits holding them in placs by the look of it, and I presume that there is a wireing loom attached to the back of it aswell??
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

They are a fairly simple job to do, There will be the metal rods connecting the door handles to unclip too.
Also the connector plug.
Ive never done a 306 one, Access inside the door might be a bit tight & you MUST reseal the plastic sheet after you have finished.
Just take your time & the jobs easy.
JonJop

Post by JonJop »

Excellent, I guess it is a bit of a gamble buying them without knowing if that definately is the problem but I am guessing that it must be that. Do you know any decent pug breakers??
PowerLee
Past:
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Sorry, I dont know of any Pug breakers, Im sure a search on the net will turn one or two up though.
There might be someone on this forum who has one sitting in there spares pile.
Theres always ebay aswell, There are a couple of Peugeot main dealers on there selling off old & non moving stock cheaply.
You should find it is pin number 6 on your door latch that is connected to the alarm switch.
JonJop

Post by JonJop »

Thanks again, as I said after screwing the multi plug back on the central locking worked but the alarm did still go off. I will have a look on ebay and search for a couple of breakers.
Fingers crossed it'll be sorted soon!
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Disconnect the ultrasonic sensors inside the car.
Paul.
solara

Post by solara »

Hi,
I was the one who devised the wire-bypass method for my 306.
It is not the door switches that this is byapssing. The central locking units actually contain micro-switches to signal that the latch has been succesfully locked. The door switches only tell the control unit that the doors have been shut (activates internal lights etc).
The micro switches in the latch do get stuck, hence the problem. So the wire bypass-system still activates your alarm. It just fools the system into thinking all the latches are locked (when in fact they may not be, due to a faulty latch mechanism).
Regards
solara
JonJop

Post by JonJop »

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate it, so the alarm, ultra sonics and central locking will work with the plip key??? Is there any chance you could let me know how to do the bypass??
Thanks
solara

Post by solara »

Paste it again....
Posted - 19 Apr 2004 : 09:19:43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also experienced central locking problems on my Peugeot 306 XTDT. When you try and lock the car (either via the remote or via the door key switch), it attempts to lock all doors, but then immediately unlocks all doors. This is a security feature should a door not be closed or locked properly.
As others suggested, this is a fault with either the central locking latch switches or wiring. Trying to find the faulty latch or break in the wire is painstaking and tedious. Typically all these switches are connected in series, so any one single faulty switch will trigger the auto-unlock feature.
After hours of probing around the central locking control unit, I have now been able to identify the closed loop circuit which detects all latches have locked. I have been able to manually bypass the sensors, so the control unit "thinks" that all latches have locked okay. This prevents it from auto-unlocking.
For me, this is acceptable, as all my latches lock okay, and the fault lies within the closed loop sensor circuit. Obviously, now if I leave a door open and lock the car, it still "thinks" its locked okay. For me, this is better than no central locking! Also its not worth me spending a fortune on getting the dealer to change the faulty latches, especially when my car is now 10 years old.
For those interested in my noddy workaround...
Step 1: Locate the central locking unit
On my 306 XTDT 1993 model, the central locking control unit, is behind the rear passenger seat (off-side/driver side). It is NOT under the drivers seat as told by the Haynes manual, that is actually the alarm control unit and engine immobiliser!
Step 2: Remove the unit
The central locking control unit is accessed, by folding the rear-seat and lifting the boots carpet next to the seat edge, where there are three screws. Open these, and pull out the central locking control unit from behind the seat. There is no need to disconnect the electrical connectors.
Step 3: Bypass the sensor circuit
There are two plug connectors, one black and one white, connected to the unit. To bypass the latch sensor circuit, connect a wire between M623(yellow/green wire) and 6293(blue wire), both of these wires come out of the black connector. All this can be done with the connector in situ.
Black connector
M623: yellow/green wire in corner of connector
6293: blue wire in same row as above, one hop away.
By shorting this circuit, it effectively closes the loop circuit, telling the control unit that all latches are locked okay.
Hay Presto, you have now disabled the pesky auto unlock feature! Try it by leaving a door open and locking the car, it will lock, but not auto-unlock. You could use this method to identify which lock is actually at fault, as any lock which opens after locking is the culprit.
Hope it works for you