Personal web space

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Personal web space

Post by bernie »

Anyone recommend a site that I can upload pictures for free?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I use a free one called uploadit, there is a pay version but the free one seems fine to me.
Stewart
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Try Photobucket...
www.photobucket.com
It's a free signup and seems fine for linking to pictures on forums.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I second photobucket, the photos are easy to load and to link to, they even provide the cut and paste links!, here's one from my photobucket account !
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I use both of the above both are very good, but photobucket does do all the hard work automatically.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

www.tinypic.com ( also run by photobucket) offer a 90 day free host of a picture and automatically resize to 640 x 480 for you (though the max on this forum is supposed to be 500 x 370 -Mosser Im looking at you here![;)])
Its handy for use on eBay, after 90 days the url is deleted automatically.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Oops. sorry!!, it automatically makes them that big though, not sure how to make it make them smaller, but they arent hosted on this site, its remote, so no overheads or bandwidth wasteing for the site at least
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Mosser, is that Alfa Romeo (shock) you're posting on here?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Blimey, you can tell alfa just from the crankshaft ?,
Yup, it is i'm afraid, i never get to post any pictures of my xantia as it is almost boringly reliable, it just goes on and on without any major mechanical troubles, same as all my citroens really,
Its a w reg alfa 156 that i bought with a spun bearing (as you can see!!), i have made a special tool so that i can regrind the journal surface with the crank still in the car and in my garage, i'm really hoping it will work, but its looking pretty good so far, i should finish the journal polishing tomorrow and final measurements, but it is so smooth at the moment, that you can see a perfect reflection in it !!, i've just got to remove the 0.002mm oval from it and it will be perfect
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I tried uploadit and found it awkward to use.
I then tried photobucket, so much easier. Recommended.
I hope it does not infringe on forum rules on images?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Marty, My photo editor (Iphoto) only gives me the pic size in "kb" so can your please tell me what sort of "kb" figure I need if I ever want to load a pic? Thanks..
Ave size of my stored pics seems to be between 50kb and 180kb.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I'd be careful about kb ratings, you could be deciding how much compression the jpeg gets instead of deciding the size of the picture.
Have a play about and I'm sure you'll work it out.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Why is there a picture size limitation imposed by the forum when the pictures arent stored on the sites server and dont use any of its bandwidth up ?, i would have thought there would only be a limitation if it was using forum resources ?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Kowalski, Size is not an option on my photo editor except to make it fit a frame, or change the number of pixels per inch, I have set that at 96 pi. But having made them all fit the frame, I still get variations ranging from 50kb to 180kb in finished picture size.. ??
If I open a pic I have no way of knowing that the dimensions are.. [:I]
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Why is there a picture size limitation imposed by the forum when the pictures arent stored on the sites server and dont use any of its bandwidth up ?, i would have thought there would only be a limitation if it was using forum resources ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's a bit unfair on dial-up users and needlessly large pictures can eat into the quota for capped broadband users. They can also make the forum go wide, especially when viewed at a low resolution.
That's my guess anyway.
I think there's a way to resize images (i.e., what you see on the page, not the original image. on forum posts, I've used it on other forums but not this one.