rattle / grinding noise ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimbolaya
My Cars:

rattle / grinding noise ??

Post by jimbolaya »

Hi guys, need some advice pleeease
Whilst cruising at around 20-50 mph without acceleration I'm getting rattley grinding noise from engine area, seems worse when braking , strange noise though !
Its not present on acceleration , any ideas cause i have an 80 mile journey home
many thanks Jim
(92 zx aura TD)
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

THE SOUND IS CONSISTENT WITH SOMETHING THAT IS ROTATING
if that helps anyone!![:I]
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

have you tried changing the oil in the engine? failing that grease up anything that moves!
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

oil done 3k ago so should be ok , as to the grease bit ....maybe i'll try but it doesn't sound like something that simple!!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Always try the simple and cheap things first,
on my mates old run around fiesta the universal steering joint started to stick basically making it a death trap, was told would be £60 to replace at the garage.
In the end he put grease on the joint and its now as good as new!
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

POINT TAKEN
THANKS I'll give it a go
any one else any ideas???[:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Have you looked for anything loose, shook various bits?
If there's nothing obviously loose when were your cambelt/tensioners last done? theres a possibility of the cambelt flapping around due to the belt or more likely the tensioner being on the way out.When its not under the loading of acceleration, the belt goes loose and starts to vary the valve timing slightly-this causes a metallic tinkly rattle as the valves lightly touch the piston tops- its a very
distictive tinkling sound.
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

Good shout brother,
sounds a distinct possibility, cam belt done 45 k ago, i'll get it checked . [;)]
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

You say its worse under braking, have you checked your brake pads?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is a real long-shot but I've known it happen once on a Clio..
The cooling fans can make some rotten noise just windmilling if the bearings are well shot.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Wheel arch liners catching on wheels? I spent a whole weekend looking for the problem when I had grinding/rattling, and it was the wheel arch liner on the passenger side, it had become loose. Other suggestions would be wheel bearings, or gearbox bearings. I know it sounds daft, but check that your wheels are all tightened up, and the hub nuts are still tight.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

A driveshaft on my old 1.4i did a similar thing, although at a higher speed. Had been knocking for ages, then suddenly started making the grinding noise. It was very worrying - it could be heard throughout the car, and felt through the passenger footwell. If yours have been knocking previously (under power, especially when cornering) it could be that.
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

Well after a bit of under car wiggling, the drivers side front wheel was definetley NOT tight enough and the disc screws have some play in them ,( could this be a wheel bearing??)
The driveshaft seems to have a little play in it when rotated back and forth, AND when you manually rotate the driveshaft you can hear a 'tick tock' sort of sound from the sump region which I believe is the strange noise I'm getting whilst coasting. A friend says maybe this could be a buggered gearbox bearing transmitting the sound . Any thoughts chaps ????
ANYWAY
I'm looking to upgrade the car so if any one wants one...bodywork not great But it'll do for spares or running into ground (MOT NOV 11th) oil always changed regular 2 new tyres on front, whole new exhaust 3k ago, new driveshaft . MAKE ME AN OFFER, as i'll only be trading it in
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Some rotational play in the driveshafts is normal, as is a slight knock from the gearbox on taking it up. Your box might be worn, but this play doesn't say anything about it one way ot the other.
To check for CV joint wear, test for play from side to side and up and down, and listen for noise when turning on full lock.
Equally, a loose wheel / disc is unlikely to be caused by a worn wheel bearing, but any remaining play when everything has been tightened may well indicate bearing wear. Take the weight off the wheel, and check for movement when pulling and pushing on the top and bottom of the wheel.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

I have a sound like this coming from my BX 1.9D- Its been there since I bought it and hasnt got any worse but I will have to replace something in the next few months by the sound of it- It is a scraping, wooshing sound that is dependant on gearbox input speed- ie its not the engine, nor the driveshafts. Basically, its most noticable in first and second gears, makes the scraping sound every time a certain something rotates past a certain point, and happens twice a second at 10 MPH and up to about 8 times as speed increases. I have no idea what it could be although I have suspected the clutch release bearing as when you let the clutch up in neutral it makes a noise which sounds like unoiled bearings. Does anyone have a clue what this problem could be?