V6 gearbox choice.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

V6 gearbox choice.

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Ok well now I have managed to track down a V6 box for my car I've been out in a few citroens on a track and have to say the auto box in sports mode is hard to beat. is there really any point in the manual box when the box on the V6 is so good any way?
so whats peoples opinions, should i go manual or stay auto?
Andy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This is a question that you can only answer yourself.
Personally, I cannot stand slug-o-matic boxes. I don't care if they're dual-mode, tri-mode, adaptive, learning, tiptronic, over-rideabe, ANYTHING. If it's got a slush-box torque converter, and a lever that has "D" for "DULL" then I'm not interested. Give me a friction clutch and a manual 'box any day of the week.
If you are on the fence about the choice though, you have to consider that a manual 'box is infinitely more flexible to your driving needs, will return better MPG from the same engine, and has the advantage that in breakdown situations, you can still tow the car without speed/distance restrictions, and if the battery goes flat you can bump-start it.
After all that, the only time I would say an auto is an advantage is regular driving in very heavy stop-start traffic. At that point an auto is almost essential, as you soon get very fed up with slipping the clutch.
just my $0.02 worth.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Autos are good for towing because there is no clutch to overheat or wear out, they're also good for lazy driving. If you want performance and you know what you're doing a manual is a must. More gear ratios and less power (and economy) loss (i.e. no torque converter).
I'd assume that a manual was more in keeping with what you want to acheive with an Activa, i.e. driving pleasure, but since its your car do what you're happiest with.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I love my Xantia auto. Just point and squirt. performance is lazy around town but fine in sport mode around the lanes.
My BMW on the other hand is an absolute waste with an auto, and don't get me wrong, I'm an auto man, so I'll be swapping it for a manual before too long as I'm missing out.
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

I love automatics with modern traffic density and traffic jams, and they are much more relaxing to drive in the urban jungle. I miss my Peugeot 405 automatic dearly, especially when it got replaced by a manual 306. If i'm in a playing mood the i've a 205 Mi16 GTi which is a manual because of the nature of the car would not be right as an automatic.
Paul.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I gave up on automatics when I kept on nearly bumping my head on the widscreen by mistaking the brake pedal for a clutch pedal.... I could never get out of the habit of trying to declutch on every occasion I ever tried an automatic..
And then back in a manual I'd forget to declutch....
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Yes Jim, been there, done that. But if you persevere it eventually comes right.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I'd go for auto every time, unless you want a track day car, then that's a different matter, but for road use I don't see the point in all that stick wiggling and leg ache.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I'm still undesided, i may go and get the box any way that way if i want to change it i can but honestly on the track the auto box performance was startlingly good!
Andy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

You can guarantee that the manual would have been ever-so-slighly faster if being driven correctly. The auto-box does remove the need for a certain level of skill in driving too.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Quote "The auto-box does remove the need for a certain level of skill in driving too."
You're right, David. So did synchromesh and automatic ignition advance and retard.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well, having an auto box certainly gives you one less thing to have to think about, leaving more time to concentrate on the important aspects of driving on todays overcrowded roads.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by FrenchLeave</i>

Quote "The auto-box does remove the need for a certain level of skill in driving too."
You're right, David. So did synchromesh and automatic ignition advance and retard.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Indeed. When driving my Landrover FC, I need the skill of double-de-clutching, as it never had synchro on 1st or 2nd, and the ones on 3rd and 4th are so worn that they might as well not be there.
Mind you, I also have to have the skill of using 3 seperate manual gearboxes all at the same time. It has a main box (no synchro's), a transfer box (no synchro's), and an overdrive gearbox (fairly worn synchro's). The combination of all these gives 16 forward gears, and 4 reverse, which when used progressively, mean I can drag some 6-7 tonnes of vehicle and trailer about with just 62HP.
Oh, and it also has drum brakes all round, so brake fade is a daily ocurrance. It takes some fairly serious skill to drive that thing!
Personally, I love it. But many (probably most) people would dispair. This is why the choice of gearbox has to be a personal one.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Sounds like masochism to me!