Whats my dead Mk2 Xantia Estate worth?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITROEN-SUCKER

Whats my dead Mk2 Xantia Estate worth?

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

I was looking for some help on finding out how much my dead xantia estate is worth?
It is a 1998 revision 2 1.9 td lx which was in perfect working order suspension electrics switches etc, until my misses got her hands on it today, basically what has happened the RAC say that the timing belt is knackered and i cannot be bothered with it anymore as since December i have had a new clutch, new rear windscreen and front section of exhaust done as well, very nice clean car inside and out, just lost faith in it as the timing belt was done in December however i suspect it may be water pump or tensioner, this could be an easy fix but just going to buy a C5 instead.
What's it worth?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

So is it a non runner?
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Well the timing belt has snapped so I would have to say YES it is a non-runner
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

If you decide to brake it, could I have first dibbs on the rear bumper, rear boot moulding & drivers side headlight.
Cheers
Ro
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Seems a shame to break a 1998 one that appears in good overall nick just because of the cambelt going, especially in view of the new bits on it. I know the engine is more than likely totalled but 1.9 XUDs are plentiful enough and not too dramatic to swap over..
If done in December the belt should not have gone. Sounds like it was either not done right or yes, the water pump has seized or the tensioner has gone. being a late model it's going to be worth a fair wad even with a bad engine...
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Just go and find another engine/cylinder head and save it, its too young to die yet, 1.9 engines are cheap and plentiful these days.
Stewart
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Where are you based?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the engine is dead, the answer is "not a whole lot".
Even with a good engine and low mileage a '98 Xantia TD Estate isnt worth a lot of money. Looking at Auto Trader, there are the usual comedy prices at dealers up to £3k, but private ones around £1500 without big milage, yours is probably worth something like that in good working order. If its a non-runner, its basically scrap / salvage value, you could be talking as little as £100 depending on who you talk to (e.g. certain car dealers faced with a part ex), so it probably is worth getting scrap yard engine put in it just to get shot of it as a runner.
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

I'm based near Edinburgh and just cant be bothered with the hassel of fitting a new engine
Was thinks of putting if in the local rag for £350 ono
Do you think this would be fair?
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

£250 maybe you may get some interest. if it dosen't sell for that you have people already offering money for parts and i need the bonnet, front lights (heads and indicators), front wings, slam panel, dash airbag and stearing wheel airbag. with the bits ross wants that should give you that much nearly any way (and if i was going to buy all of the above id want both headlights - if thats ok ross?)
Andy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If you have the mechanical know-how then i would certainly fix it up as mentioned in replies......it certainly does seem a waste to get rid...if the pumps fine and it is the belt then contact the garage and be a grade A bitch...if you dont feel able to do this...then give me a buzz and i shall do all the bitching for ya......
.....got front offside tyre replaced the other week at KwikFit and rear balancing (Saxo alloys, fronts already done) and it pulls quite badly to the left so ringing them up to sort the problem out at the weekend at there expense...though i do feel sorry for the person who answers my call
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Well just put it in the local rag for £350 afterall its got almost a full tank diesel so just waiting on the phonecalls :-)