Another one bites the dust.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Another one bites the dust.

Post by tomsheppard »

Grace goes to the scrapman tomorrow. It wasn't a great car overall. It wasn't just the rust that killed them. Too much of the design was old fashioned and it was poorly made and in many ways, downright inconvenient. I have enjoyed some of it, as a grand routier, it is superb, fluid, agile, guiet and economical, but It couldn't hold a candle to a Saab 900.How do I know? I loved my Saabs but the CX just didn't inspire me like that.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm going to regret saying this, but I'll save it. I've wanted a CX for just about ever. Ideally I'd love a CX 25 DTR Turbo 2 estate, but ANY CX would be nice.
Please let me know if I can save it!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I loved my Saabs but the CX just didn't inspire me like that.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> But at least you don't suffer from biscuit crumbs and coffee in the ignition with a Citroen......[:D]
Can't you just put it out at the side of the road "Classic car- £250 or offers" rather than scrapping it?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

It has been saved. I have just driven it the 60-ish miles back from Southampton to North Dorset. I have to say, I was expecting a dog, but this is in fairly lovely condition... too good to be honest. I now have to have a serious rethink about the cars I own.
I shall post more in the fullness of time, but at the moment, I'm shattered and off to bed.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Coffee and biscuit crumbs? Difficult with a glass of Krug in one hand and a joint in the other, I'd have thought.
Car now in above's hands after much pleading. He reckons he can save it. Ah! The optimism of youth. Good Luck Grace and Thanks.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Well done David, you will have to re-shuffle your options now but a CX has got to be a good thing.
Stewart
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

David got his CX!! Excellent, I'm really pleased.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Now that it's daylight, and I've had a good look at the car, the rust in it really doesn't daunt me at all. I've fixed far worse (I used to own Talbot Horizons of the same era.... you can't scare me!) There are a few mechanical niggles to sort (like centering the DIRAVI and making the turbo guage work) but otherwise, it's lovely. I was initially considering using the engine and box from this car to go in my C25D van to make it a TD, but there is NO WAY that's going to happen!
All I can say, is a very big **thank you** to Mr Tom Sheppard for not scrapping the car, and letting me take it on.
I've been driving it today, and it's lovely. I'm even considering getting rid of the 405 now that I have this CX!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Good one tom and fastandfurious, glad its gone to a good home.
Quite annoyed i didnt manage to get it whislt i had the chance, life conspired against me as usual.
What you running now tom? just the BX?
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Just for folks' general pleasure, here is a picture of what David got from Tom
http://www.topgear.com/content/fun_stuf ... ges/37/01/
Kidding! [:)]
Oscar
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Oh, Tom cleaned it before letting it go then[:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Not that much.
I would have preferred to have sent it classic banger racing just to annoy Certain Concerned Citrophiles.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

All I can say is that I am very gald you didn't! (You could still tell tham that you did though, and watch the look of horror on their faces! [:D])
A friend was round a couple of days ago, and remarked that the colour, styling and chrome on it made the car look very "Jetsons-esque" and having had another look at it, I think he's right! He also described the car as being in "beautiful" condition.
The corrosion in the floor is weel on it's way to being fixed, the passenger seat is having it's rake mechanism re-instated (it had been welded in a very upright position) and the only thing I need to work out what to do with is the nearside front wing. Not sure whether to repair it (it's rusted at the bottom) or to see if I can source a new/good one.
After that I have the rather long-winded task of removing the headlining to re-glue it. Mind you, I am NOT complaining!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Ive seen this car before at Toms place-Thought it was lovely. In fact my next Citroen could possibly be a MK 1 CX, although I cant decide between one of those or a Dyane, or a BX 16V- I suppose its whatever turns up first in December when I change cars- Idealy the next one will have air con so I guess a Dyane is ruled out, but then again who needs air con when the roof comes off.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Not that much.
I would have preferred to have sent it classic banger racing just to annoy Certain Concerned Citrophiles.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Gee's I don't stir you up about cr@ppy BX's and "proper Citroens" that much do I Image Image Image Image Image
I'd love to get my hands on a CX turbo diesel. Most certainly I'd get rid of any sh!tty BX to get one [}:)] [:D] [:p]
seeya,
Shane L.