Two Problems in a Week?!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anelson2000
My Cars:

Two Problems in a Week?!

Post by anelson2000 »

Hello again!
I thought it wasn't possible to have 2 issues with my trusty ZX in 1 week, but alas, I don't put anything past it!
I got out of the car the other day to find the rad fan still on, which was a new and exciting prospect for me - I'd just been on a 200 mile journey so was glad that the (suspected not working) fan was actually going. But, I've noticed it's now on after the shortest journeys (like 0.8 miles, yeah I know I should walk) which doesn't seem right.
If it makes any difference I've just had my cam belt and front bumper changed at "that" end of the car..
Any suggestions?!
Thanks again
Adrian
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Check that the radiator is not pressurising, if it is, it could be a sign of a blown head gasket. Check that theres enough water in the radiator, and that its "bled" up properly (search forums for this). Is the sensor for the fan dicky? The temperature gauge should be above 90 before the fan kicks, in, if its below this, suspect a dodgey sensor. Off the top of my head these are the things I would check.
anelson2000
My Cars:

Post by anelson2000 »

Hi Wilkobob,
Thanks for your advice - as suggested opened up the bleed nipples and let it bleed - interestingly there seemed to be some kinda blockage - very weird, like a dark sludge like substance which is all gone now - miraculously, no more disapearing water! Bit curious as to what this "sludge" was but as long as it's all working (for now!)
Cheers again, Adrian
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Not sure about sludge? Maybe just gunk thats built up in the engine and radiator, which has now been flushed out. Make sure you did bleed the system up properly (using some kind of funnel, ie a pop bottle), As if you didnt further problems may occur.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I really would treat this car to a flushing of the whole coolant system. If some sludge was discharged there is more still in there, especially in your radiator.