One small step 4 the project, one giant leap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

One small step 4 the project, one giant leap

Post by rossnunn »

4 the ZX kind!
Well, not <i>that</i> dramatic but still, I managed to crank the new engine over 3-4 times tonight. Put a booster box to the pos & neg battery terminals & ran a fly lead to the starter motor, touched the other end to the pos & over she cranked.
No obvious nasty sounds, no grinding of metal, no smoke [:p]
WOOHOO!
back on the road ETA: end of the month [:o)]
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Way to go man!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Way to go; just a bit of advice though.
I recently rebuilt a single cylinder engine on a slasher. The rebuild was a rebore/new rings, one new main bearing, planed the head and all faces, fitted a new valve seat and one new valve and of course new gaskets.
The work was all done in a clean environment and everything was washed, wiped and oiled before it was refitted, but I was advised by a retired engineer who helped with the project that I should run it for 5 minutes, then run fresh oil through it. Re fill and run under light load for another half hour and again change the oil and then change it again after a few hours work just to clean all the crap out of the nooks and crannies. "Yeah, yeah...." says I (thinking, anything to keep him happy) so I started it up, pulled the dipstick and.......Imagethe red oil was silver!! So I went to the next stage and again it was silver; full of metal particles. I followed the advice and now I have an engine that sounds & performs better than it did when brand new.
So the moral of the story is, to do a couple of quick oil changes and I'd suggest filters at the same time. My engine didn't have a filter fitted but this gives you some idea of what the result is in any engine that's been rebuilt and whilst filters might do a good job, they don't get rid of all the minute particles which can cause massive damage in a short space of time.
Alan S[;)]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

bugger [:0] have to order in some moe oil filters [:p]