New car stereo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

New car stereo

Post by Brian Oblivion »

I fancy installing one of these
http://www.hb-direct.com/EN/P_73_2.html
to my 1994 L Reg ZX 1.9TD. Would it be compatible? and has anyone any experience of putting a new stereo in and what would I need in terms of extra bits and bobs?
Ta
Brian
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

should just need the ISO lead to convert from the standard zx lead to your new stereo.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

you would need to get a new adaptor to hold the stereo in place, assuming you have the original stereo installed, look at your current stereo, you will see its ~twice the height of a normal aftermarket stereo and the flap covers half the stereo, the stereo your lookin at is the normal height of a stereo. the main citroen stealers i have heard have these as well as halfords etc, but aparantly the one's from citroen are much cheaper (supprise!) as for the wiring i dont know, as i was coinsidently considering to buy the stereo your looking at but stopped at the prospect of i might get a new car in the neer future. but i can suggest looking into what connectors you have (ISO or another type) and find out what that stereo needs (ISO).
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Thanks chaps, off to get an adapter and iso thingy.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Fascia adapter is here (30 quid, same as halfrauds - pricey for a lump of plastic...).
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/mo ... ZX&cid=880
Autoleads do a ISO cable adapter for a couple of quid as well, but I'm more of a chop the harness with a pliers type person. The manual in your glovebox tells you what each cable does, so it's easy enough to rewire to suit your needs.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

paid 15 quid for adaptor fascia plastic from indpendant and my kenwood stereo came with loads of wires. dead easy to fit (just a bit of a pain as there are that many wires on my kenwood)as have moved mine from previous zx to current (keeping old radio tape chewing citroen device to throw back in)
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Just reserved a facia from a main dealer, £12.31 inc vat
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Maplins and others (including main dealers I expect) will do fitting leads so that you don't have to butcher the wiring.
Looks a good set. My job is to fit a similar one (but less powerful)from Maplins into the BX if I can get the old one out! (Was a post on here - thanks for the help)
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

do you needs a ISO adapter? mine has standard ISO's
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just going to say the same thing Ross - my 91 ZX had standard ISO leads, which I butchered to fit a Ford radio into the ZX (long story).
Pull the radio and check first. Its only a 5 minute job.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I didnt think ZX's needed any ISO adaptors? All of the ones ive seen have ISO plugs as standard wiring, see the owners manual.