Handy hint replacing anti sink sphere. Xant.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnT
My Cars:

Handy hint replacing anti sink sphere. Xant.

Post by JohnT »

I could not see why the new replacement was leaking very slightly, causing the back end to drop on start up. I then looked at the sphere I took off and realised the short piece of sealing rubber that pushes over the end of the hydralic pipe was still stuck there. Once it was retreived and put in place the new sphere sealed OK.
It's easy to miss!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

That's interesting, when I changed the anti-sink sphere on my Xantia a couple of years ago I could find no trace of it having a rubber seal at all. I checked the sphere I'd taken off, the end of the hydraulic pipe, the floor under the car, nothing. I thought it was odd at the time, and it looked like the union should certainly have some sort of seal on it. I think either the seal must have disintegrated and fallen inside the old sphere, or else the car originally left the factory minus its seal.
I did get the pipe to seal without it, but I had to tighten it <i>very</i> tight and I wouldn't fancy my chances of ever getting it undone again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all citroen pipe fittings that have a sweage aprox 3/8ths of an innch up the pipe do have a seal on,if you have over tihgtend pipe nut you have probaly rammed the end of pipe into the unit its fitted to regards malcolm
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citronut</i>

if you have over tihgtend pipe nut you have probaly rammed the end of pipe into the unit its fitted to
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes that's more than likely, I didn't have much choice at the time because I was working on the car on a farm in the middle of nowhere with no other transport, and I had to get it to seal somehow before I could drive it.
I'm not too concerned in the this case though as the anti-sink sphere will probably last the rest of the life of the car now, but if it does need to be changed I'll probably cut it off and have a new short length of pipe made up to fit.