xantia suspension problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colzak
My Cars:

xantia suspension problem

Post by colzak »

After changing all my wheels on my 2.0i Xantia estate by utilising the height control system for ease,,
e.g. raise car, chock the body near relavent wheel and drop heaight, change wheel, repeated four times,,,,,,this is ok isn,t it?
now the car has the following symptoms when the height adjuster is used.
1. (low) - front/back fully dropped
2. (normal) - rear rises but is soft and front remains dropped
3. (stiffer)- front rises to highest position and is solid, then rear
4. (service) - no change
then back again
3. Still at max height
2. rear drops and front remains at max height
1. front drops to rubbers stops, then the rear
I,ve read some of the suspension forums and have looked at the rear height corrector linkage, which appears in tact, and I,ve doused both front and back with WD40.
Suspension is still the same........any suggestions as to what might be happening?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like sticky hieght correctors, several applications of WD40 over a few days should cure it.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry! I hadn't read you post properly, could still be sticking, try a few more applications.
colzak
My Cars:

Post by colzak »

Hi Peter N.
thanks for the reply, ,,,,what is actually sticking?
the thing with 2 rubber caps on, should I remove the caps and spray inside?
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Cozak
No lubricate the height corrector linkage
The part you should spray is the height corrector linkage that the the cylindral valve your talking about(which is in fact the height corrector valve) is bolted to but do not spray inside the rubbers as this is a hydrulic valve and you will couse damage. youll see an arrangement of springs and levers lubricate these and then operate the height control lever from high to low to raise the suspension up and down. you can unbolt the valve to free the linkage and move it by hand but then you,ll have to reset the valve so at this stage i wouldnt advise that.
pete..................
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I now use a lovely concoction of gear oil, chainsaw oil and grease applied liberally to the linkages using a paintbrush, if theres any movement there at all then the mix will get into the moving parts. WD40 is not that good for this task
Stewart
colzak
My Cars:

Post by colzak »

Thanks gents,,
I,ve given the height correctors another blast with the wd40 as yesterdays liberal soaking hasn,t worked yet....
today I,ve been working the suspension raise/lower lever with the car switched off over several minutes, switching the car on and hoping the car settles at its propper height,,,,,,,,,but I still have a bouncy castle,,,,front is either solidly up or solidly down,,,,,infact
writing this post has inspired me to go and have another go now,,,,,I,l put some oil on while I,m there,,
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

WD40 isn't so good because it will wash oil and grease off and then evapourate, not leaving anything behind to lubricate. After you've used the WD, you need to put something on that will stay put, Stewart's mixture sounds interesting, gungey enough to stay put but with enough runnieness to get where it is needed.
colzak
My Cars:

Post by colzak »

To all concerned,,,,,,,,,
The plastic front height corrector anti roll bar link has popped off,,,,,(mm,,ust,,,,think,,,,of,,,,somthing,,to keep forum going)
I think I,ve discovered the cause of my 2.0i xantia's front stiffy,,,,
having armed myself with more wd40 cos that will free up seized things
and raised the car to full height,,,,
I took a closer look at the front height corrector assembly to see if my previous oilings had hit the mark,,,,,,,,only to find that a small plastic arm with ball joint features wasn,t connected to the anti-roll bar,,,,,
I havn,t re connected yet cos that would mean getting the axle stands out I think, and its getting dark,,,,,,,besides,,,if its popped off once it can pop off again,,,,,I,l buy a new one.
Thanks for everyones guidance ,,,,and be sure that I will grease up both front and back height corrector assemblies when the cars fixed