Rock solid front, lol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

petefa
My Cars:

Rock solid front, lol

Post by petefa »

Reading the posts here, I realized that my hard ride, might be due to the front spheres being "flat", not due to the wife!, lol. So off I went and did the magic 5 Citroen press ups, then bounced each back corner,in turn, fine so far. :-)
I then tried this with the front, not a milimetre of movement[:0]!
So off I trundled, to Crayford motors and brought 2 new front spheres, I could not find them on Andy's spares, am I blind?[|)].
Anyway, I sprayed the mating surfaces of the spheres with WD40, then left it overnight.
I set the height level to low, slackened the bleed screw, no hiss or anything,Hmm[?]?
I started with the left front sphere, it came of with just a few taps, from a copper mallet and a cold chisel. lubbed the new rubber ring and fitted the new sphere.
I then started on the right, same again, except, fluid came gushing out, ahhh. this slowed down, so I unscrewed it fully, only to have a sphere in my hand, with fluid spurting out all over the place!
Do these have arteries?? , lol
I lubbed the new rubber ring and fitted the new sphere.
I then did the magic 5 Citroen press ups, raised the height to max, checked the fluid level, set the ride level to normal, did a test run and wow!, soft ride again!,:-)
Funny, But the sphere was still gushing like mini waterfall![:0], ooer!
Anyway, just to say,
Thanks guys for all your help[:D][:D]!
PS:-Please read my next post, ty
petefa
My Cars:

Post by petefa »

Opps, I forgot to mention,
Xantia 1.9tdi R reg, 5 door manual
Spheres 55 lbs front
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sometimes -
[8D]
- an "empty" and "depressurised" sphere does not agree with you on these terms [:p]
The reason is a wee bit pressure still left in sphere - exactly enough to press out the LHM when sphere is released. But pressure is not enough to empty the sphere when still fitted.
As the sphere goes flat during use - more and more LHM on the fluid side is pressed in to compensate for the low pressure on the gas side. As the sphere takes 0.4L (or 0.6L depending on size) you have a napkin user [;)]
In other words : a perfectly normal experience [:)]
- but messy it is.