Saxo clunks - what if it ISN'T the drop link?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mwj666
My Cars: In no particular order :-

Mk2 XM V6 Exclusive (holds the record for longest I have ever owned a car, currently 15 years and counting, and not hit 100k miles yet!)

XM 2.0 turbo
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
6 assorted CX estates
CX25 GTI Turbo 2, God that was *FUN*
2 x BX (19 and 19GTI)
1 x Xantia 2 litre estate
3 x AX GT
2 x Saxo VTR
Pug 206 Quicksilver - nice car but whoever invented DPFs should be shot!

Saxo clunks - what if it ISN'T the drop link?

Post by mwj666 »

Warning - long posting! [:I]
Have just acquired a 2000 Saxo VTR, my trusty old AX GT having run up 180,000 totally reliable miles (yes really!) I decided it was time for a change... and I am starting to regret it after 2 weeks!
This Saxo has all of 37k on the clock and came with a full Citroen dealer service history - which I suppose I should have taken as a warning it would be 'iffy' but like a fool I didn't [xx(]
Anyway setting aside minor details that 'dealer service' apparently excludes - like ****ged out wipers and the dirtiest air filter known to man - it has a nice clunk on the nearside front suspension.
No problem thinks I - swap the notorious anti roll bar drop link (though surprised a 37k mile car would need it) and all will be fine.... errrr.... took wheel off to reveal virtually brand new drop link already in place [?] Hmmm - someone else has thought the same thing obviously!
Checked the drop link over - seems fine, joint is very tight (as in it is pretty difficult to move by hand). OK - so bet its the anti-roll bar bushes, lets try some nice clean grease.... BUT N/S/F still clunks and bangs good style - especially after a few miles when things have warmed up a bit.
Had a play tonight with the drop link disconnected - difficult to be conclusive as this alters the front suspension geometry but bouncing energetically on the front wing still reveals a nice clunk/squeak noise which would seem to rule out the drop link and anti roll bar bushes.
Next stop: checked the steering knuckle ball joint, strut retaining nuts and all the wishbone bush clamp bolts - all AOK
This leaves me with the likely culprit being the wishbone bushes as the noise sounds to be coming from inboard rather than outboard (ie not the strut assembly) - but isn't 37k miles too early for these to go? Wonder if the wishbone has worked a bit loose in its rear bush (which I believe is a tight press fit onto a steel pivot screwed into the wishbone) and the noise is the pivot turning (reluctantly) in the sleeve in the rear bush?
Can anyone out there shed any light on the longevity of the wishbone bushes, or any other possible causes of clunky suspension that I have missed? I don't want to fork out for another wishbone and bushes (or a set of Powerflex bushes) if it's still going to clunk afterwards!
Thanks all!
Martin
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Nothing to do with a top suspension bearing?