towing hitch for 1995 Citroen ZX Advantage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

erico
My Cars:

towing hitch for 1995 Citroen ZX Advantage

Post by erico »

Gents,
I bought an Advantage 1.9D and am looking for a secondhand Towing hitch. Which ones will fit the ZX without any modifications? I saw a towhitch for an AX advertised yesterday at a god price. Does anyone know which frames are identical? I understand that some parts on the Peugot 306 are the same, but that might be only engine stuff.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Sorry to say this but in the case of the ZX its going to have to be a like for like - unless you want to start making your own mounting points. There is a place on the web (UKtowbars) which do very cheap patern parts if you are not towing anything too heavy. However whether their delivery extends to the Netherlands....
If you cant find a ZX towbar then try fitting a longditudinal beam type bar off a 306 - but be prepared to have to weld up new mounting points - I have done something similar ONCE - and wouldnt recommend it again - but my skill with an arc welder isnt that good.
The electrics are a sod to fit too! You have to remove the NS lamp pod and make the connections behind there. I can post a schematic of a ZX towbar for you to look at (when I get home) and then from that you can decide on either fabrication one, or finding one.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Try looking in a breakers yard, might be helpful. Electrics can be a sod, but if you get a genuine citroen one, theres a plug through connector on the LHS in the plastic surrounding the rear quarter window (or at least there was on my reflex 1.4, and on the avantage estate diesel I used to own. Not sure if its in my current car as it already has a towbar fitted. On another older ZX I used to own, I made my own towbar up, used 3 bits of box section, made the shape of a +, cut out a hole in the rear bumper, and bolted it through the boot floor in 3 places, with large bolts and some thick bits of plate to sandwhich it. Worked really well (I reckon it was much stronger than the proper ZX ones, as I used heavier duty bolts. There was still room for the spare wheel hanger and wheel under the bar.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Erico - you MUST have a towbar made for that specific model you want it for.
Even Citroen & Peugeot models close to each other have a different chassis design meaning it would be sheer lottery if any non purpose made towbar would fit.
Also your towbar fitting must be approved by your local authorities that test your car for roadworthyness. They will never accept any homemade modified fitting here.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

In our counrty, the tow bar only has to be approved on vehicles first registered after 1998, so home made would appear ok, but do check your countries regulations.
erico
My Cars:

Post by erico »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Sorry to say this but in the case of the ZX its going to have to be a like for like - unless you want to start making your own mounting points. There is a place on the web (UKtowbars) which do very cheap patern parts if you are not towing anything too heavy. However whether their delivery extends to the Netherlands....
If you cant find a ZX towbar then try fitting a longditudinal beam type bar off a 306 - but be prepared to have to weld up new mounting points - I have done something similar ONCE - and wouldnt recommend it again - but my skill with an arc welder isnt that good.
The electrics are a sod to fit too! You have to remove the NS lamp pod and make the connections behind there. I can post a schematic of a ZX towbar for you to look at (when I get home) and then from that you can decide on either fabrication one, or finding one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi,
Your offer of posting the schematic of a ZX towbar sounds wonderful. My welding skills should be good enough. MIG welders are so nice! The electrics are no problem as I worked on aircraft electrics for 26 years.
Thanks for the prompt response.
Eric[:)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Sorry for the delay - there really is no excuse other than pure bone idleness on my part - will post tonight.
Marty
These photos are at full resoloution - hence the links rather than posting the scans...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... pygsa4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... pygsa5.jpg
Sorry there are no measurements - but measuring between the mounting points under the car will give you an idea...
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I got a tow bar assembly as you show on the link.
But I had modify mine because where the side mounting plate holes are nearly in line with the drop plate in the centre, I had a rocking action causing the bar to move and loosen.
I fitted a verticle drop plate between the cranked extension and bar, and this fitted and drilled through the boot behind the bumper. Because this plate was some 60mm closer the ball hitch, it cured the rocking action and does not move any more. Oh, and the plate has to have a dog-leg in it to fit.
erico
My Cars:

Post by erico »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Erico - you MUST have a towbar made for that specific model you want it for.
Even Citroen & Peugeot models close to each other have a different chassis design meaning it would be sheer lottery if any non purpose made towbar would fit.
Also your towbar fitting must be approved by your local authorities that test your car for roadworthyness. They will never accept any homemade modified fitting here.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi,
Well, I had a bit of luck yesterday. I stopped by a breakers place in Groningen and they had a used one for the ZX complete with 7-pin connector. It is an original Citroen part made by a B.V. in Appledorn, so no worries about its legality. It was reasonably priced at 45 Euros. I cleaned it up and painted it yesterday, so now I am fighting with removing the rear bumper. I will let you know how it works out.
Cheers,
Eric [:)]
erico
My Cars:

Post by erico »

Gents,
I installed the towing hitch today. It went on without (a hitch) any problems and since it was an OEM hitch... it looks perfect. Thanks to all for your input, suggestions, schematics and expertise.
Eric