Crankshaft Oil Seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

Crankshaft Oil Seal

Post by wilkobob »

Can anyone tell me if there is any thing else that could be casuing oil to leak (or look like its leaking) from the bottom of the joint between the engine and gearbox on a 1.9TD. I have just replaced the rocker cover gasket, and the dipstick housing (as both were leaking) and I still dont seem to have cured my leak. How much of a job is to to do this oil seal? How much would I be looking at for a garage to undertake the job?
Simon
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

HI Have you checked the camshaft oil seal? Now this may be silly but are you sure that it is engine oil and not gearbox oil.(gearbox overfilled?) or even LHM spraying from the HP pump.I am trying to think of the cheap things rather than the OMG situation of having to remove the gearbox etc.
There is a tin plate at the bottom of the gearbox housing (bellhousing)next to the sump if you take this off, if it's not missing already, if it is the crank seal then you should see evidence of oil on the back of the flywheel.
How much are you loosing and are you sure that the breather pipes are not blocked and the crankcase preasuring. If it realy is splattered everywhere then a good clean up will help you find where its coming from.
Cheers and good luck.
Geoff.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Not losing much, just the patch on the drive where i park is getting blacker. Its definately engine oil. Il check the end seal on the camshaft. My only other thought is that its residue from the other oil leaks on the engine (im hoping thats the case). The oil is all over the tin cover at the bottom of the bellhousing, il remove it when I get chance and have a look.
Cheers.
Any further suggestions?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sump gasket?
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

when i had oily patches it turned out to be hairline frectures in the sump tank, new sump £70 and can only be got from the stealers. The gasket that it uses is a silicone sealant.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

ive had a further look, and the sump itself is dry, the oil is comming from the bottom of the bell housing. My problem is, I cant actually get my car on my car ramps (bloody volcane bumper) so il have to wait until I can borrow some longer ones, then il check the back of the engine, but it would appear to be comming from the tin plate [:(].
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

A couple of bricks at the bottom of the ramp will cure this problem
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you considered using a hydraulic jack to lift the car - then place the ramps under the frontwheels ?
That's what I do as I never drive the car up the ramps anyway (wheels slips).
BTW : replacing the crankshaft seal is a gearbox out job - as you have to remove the clutch - and then the flywheel.
That's why you always replace this seal on a clutch job [8]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well I had the clutch done on the car about 2 months after I got it, then it got a new engine (so clutch and gearbox were transfered over), but whether the oil seal was done is anyones guess! I could try getting the car on ramps that way, although im not sure if my jack will get the car that high, but il give it a go. Cheers.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I was right, my jack doesnt go up quite enough to put ramps under the car, however I did get a pair of axel stands under there, and removed the cover, the flywheel is dry as a bone. The oil appears to be down the back of the engine (where I cant get with my pressure washer). So, im assuming its the residue from the rocker cover or maybe a little from the back of the sump (although the sump is fairly dry). Im going to watch the situation over the next few days, and hopefully it will clear up, and il be able to clean the drive, and not have to worry. Thanks for the help [:)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Fixed my oil leak back there, it took a few weeks for the drip to stop (check turbo oil feed line in back of block for tightness, theres a hosepipe sized return line too)
Stewart
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or re/check cam cover seal is on properly,just wipe n/s rear of head just below cam cover joint,maybe also check cover bolt tightness regards malcolm
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

this bell houseing tin plate? is it shiny black ? Hmmm a better way of describing is this, if you was looking at the car as in the off side is on your left and near side on your right, so you've got the sump then to the near side is a black plate with a metal pipe running just below it ?
Hope that makes sense?
thanks twiss
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

incidentally, mentioning the turbo air feed pipe, I saw, when the intercooler was off that this was severely bunged up with cack, so decided to remove it, and flush it through. Since then, the car has performed like it has a turbo on it, and theres a definate kick at about 2500 rpm, which wasnt there before.
Il check the turbo oil pipes tomorrow.
Twiss, your description of the tin plate on the bellhousing is clear.
I am now led to believe that the oil that is still dripping, is just whats on the engine from the previous leaks, and I think it will clear up soon, but I will post to let everyone know. Thanks for the help.
organic mechanic
My Cars:

Post by organic mechanic »

Tightening cam cover is best suggestion. An oil leak from here spreads all over. Don't tighten too much as it bolts to camshaft bearings. These bolts are almost always loose and are, in my opinion,# one cause of oil leaks.
I once had brill' result on an old GSA that was flooding oil from rear crank seal usig Wynnes oil Stopleak.