Electrical connections

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niek
My Cars:

Electrical connections

Post by Niek »

Hi Folks,
We all have Citroens so we're all prone to problems of this type at some point :)
I was fiddling with my vehicle speed sensor (Xm '95 2.0i 16v) which feeds to the ECU/Hydractive and which on cars with electronic speedo's is also the feed for the speedo. Yes you guessed right, I've got speedo problems (the electronic speedo hasn't fixed that common problem...)
Anyway I was cleaning the connector on the gearbox using contact spray and trying to scrape a bit but you can't reach it very well so I'm not sure whether that contact is good or not, so I don't know whether it still not worjing all the time is caused by this connector or the next one...
Sorry for the long intro, the question really is, what is the best way to clean electrical contacts on the car assuming they can be just greasy or even corroded??
Thanks,
Niek.
Edited by - Niek on 04 Oct 2002 09:43:36
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Corroded terminals like dirty battery terminals can be dipped or washed in bi-carb of soda in warm water. Be sure to dry them and paint with vaseline after refitting.
Alan S
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Hi,
Thing is though when I have a connector (like the gearbox speed sensor) which is deep inside the car, I can't get to it with a bowl of anything...
Thanks,
Niek.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well it depends on the material the connectors are made of. High quality industrial connectors are often made from tin plated copper/brass/bronze but it seems most car electrics use tinned steel or tinned and coppered steel. Though all of these corrode in some manner, the steel based ones are the worst to "maintain". Depending on the extent of the corrosion and the location (as you put it - it's difficult to bathe switch contacts in bicarb when they are filthy dirty and covered in all the grunge that collects under cars), the only really effective method seems to be mechanical cleaning combined with a degreaser followed by a proper electrical cleaning fluid followed by a wax based protective covering. The mechanical cleaning can be as simple as pushing on and pulling off the movable part of the connector several times while the contacts are covered in cleaning fluid (spray). I use a waxoyl - type rust inhibitor to give the final protection.
The trouble is, such a connector may give a reasonable connection as long as its left alone, however as soon as you try to "improve" its connectivity it may well fall to bits!
//NiSk
geoff_old

Post by geoff_old »

Hello. As you say Citroens and electrical contacts do't seem to mix very well.( 1XM,2BX ) I have found that Meths followed by vaselene works very well. NOT wd 40 this seems to only work for a very short time.
Good luck. T T F N
Geoff.
G Gould
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hi,.... my twopenneth worth...
for electrical connections of any description, I use a "good" switch cleaner. BAsically, its an aerosol spray - designed specifically for these jobs....just a good squirt , give it 5 mins to dry/evaporate and thats that. Means you can get in places with the "straw" too.
Its not cheap stuff..depends where you get it - but exceptonally good stuff ! Try it. mike