Amber warning lamp???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Amber warning lamp???

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi all
I dont know if I have a problem with this or not as I do not know what it means.On the dash on the rhs where your warning lamps are situated,one of lamps(amber in colour) came on briefly.This lamps resides above your handbrake(red)warning lamp.I've looked and double
checked my citroen handbook but to no avail as to the meaning of said amber lamp.The small diagram(if you could call it that)the amber lamp
illuminates I would say reminds me of a half full/empty pot showing an inlet and outlet unions.This lamp has come on twice in the last few weeks when sat in traffic(engine getting hot).I have checked all fluid levels and all is fine.Does anyone have an idea to what this is please?Thanks in advance to any replies.[:)]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Hello Stevie
What car are you driving? A lot of us put our car in our signatures so that other members can refer quickly.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like the water in diesel warning lamp to me. It means that there is water in the fuel filter bowl. When it just comes on briefly it's likely just a little bubble of water and not serious. Drain off the filter bowl using the bleed screw at the bottom and all should be Ok until the next time. You may have picked up a load of watery diesel recently.
Change the filter sooner rather than later as well.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

My appologies folks on the oversight.The car in Question is my Xantia 1.9 TD sx
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Stevie - My Xantia is very touchy about the water in the fuel warning light also. The sensor for it is well renowned for illuminating on/off, I dont pay any attention to it on my Xantia as I drain the filter housing on a regular basis. Do this and you wont have any trouble. Hope this helps
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

P.S - The Xantia owners handbook dont mention this light (typical!). The only thing PSA literature is good for is starting my barbeque[:D] (only joking)[:p]
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The problem is in how the light works, It consists of two closely spaced prongs poking ito the bottom of the filter bowl and works on the fact that diesel insulates and water conducts. It only needs a tiny little globule of water skulling around to set it off. The globule in question moves around the bowl, thus intermittently popping on the light. All my XUD's have done this. On my old 405 with the big Lucas filter I thought I'd cracked it once, only to find I'd not reconnected the sensor wiring after changing the filter element... Just drain the bowl regularly, change the filter every 6 months or so and then worry no more.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Not all of them work like this. Some of them have a small float in the bottom of the filter housing, which is less dense than water (will float in it) and more dense than diesel (sinks in it). Obviously, when the float does actually float (in water) the lamp comes on. This system was used on Horizons, a fair few 309's and I have had it in a 405 too.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

superb post by citrojim....... very common fault, the handbook I have covers the warning light J roc?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

@ JohnT - Lucky you then.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Cheers folks,
I'll look into draining the filter on a regular basis and renewing the element.:)