xantia water problems still.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TicToc

xantia water problems still.

Post by TicToc »

My xantia 1.9TD 1996 (122,000 miles)is loosing about 1litre of coolant every 2wks after say 500 miles. I have no obvious signs of a leak, still have problems with the heater matrix (not heating) but as it is summer that can wait. We pressure tested the coolant system up to 15psi cold and the pressure held. I have no loss in power, where is the coolant going, needs to be resolved soon before new speres for mot.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could well be head gasket leakage as the pressure inside the engine is considerably more than 15 psi. What usually happens is that when pushed hard it blows water out of the filler cap or vent pipe, look for telltale stains around the filler. If the gasket is leaking that could well be the problem with the heater as the gas bubbles cirulate and can displace the water in the heater matrix, try disconnecting the top heater hose and filling the header tank until water comes out of both ends.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A few favourites that are difficult to spot:
Bottom of radiator - look for crustiness, blue smear if you run your hand along it. Tends to collect on front crossmember so difficult to see
Water pump inlet - may only leak when it's hot, behind the engine, need to get it on ramps to see if there is any evidence of leaks
Water pump - wetness on the bottom of the timing covers might be evident
Head gasket leaks are usually accomanied by: Pressure in the cooling system even when the engine is cold; rapid pressuring of the cooling system after a cold start (1 minute or so); bubbles in the header tank when the engine is running. Unusual on this engine to get water in oil or oil in water - just usually the water to cylinder leak, or oil to outside (as killed mine).
Lack of interior heat could be due to airlocking in the matirx (possible if you have a leaky headgasket); matrix blocked; falp fault inside the car. Try bleeding it with a header tank to make sure you get all the air out. Feel the hoses to from the matrix to see if both are hot - if one hot one cold then no flow either because of air of blockage. If both hot, then more likely a flap problem inside.
Lots to go at for you!!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I had a similar problem on my car.
try a pressure test:-
You should have a tyre type valve on a small hose that returns over the top engine mount to your expansion tank. With the engine cool,undo the filler cap to release any pressure. Remove the 'valve' cap and attach a tyre pump, one that has a pressure gauge. Now put the filler cap back on and pump the pressure up to 15 psi, now look around the engine bay for any water spraying from any hoses or, as in my case, the bottom corner of the radiator.If you cant see any water in the bay, check inside the car under the dash on the passenger side, if water is there the matrix has gone. If you can't see anything, it may be the rad cap knackered or the head gasket leaking, maybe leaking to exhaust and evaporating.
Once you have checked, carefully undo the rad cap, water may spray out so be very careful.
Paul