XMV6 cutting out when warm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulxmski
My Cars:

XMV6 cutting out when warm

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi all,
Looking for help with this problem: engine (V6) starts fine from cold then as it warms up (when stationary) it starts to miss fire, then wont accelerate at all, then coughs and dies. It will not start again until cold i.e next day[?][?] [:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

sounds like an ignition TDC sensor disrupting when warm
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I agree with Anders, sounds exactly like it starting to fail, but you might have better luck looking it up under the name of crank position sensor, there both the same thing, just different names !
They are only about £15 usually, but can be a pain to fit
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi all,
Thanks for the info: where does the sensor live?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I have no idea on the V6 engine - but I'd think on the clutch bellhousing somewhere to read off from the flywheel. It would be a magnetic coil sensor and probably have an ohmic resistance in the 100 ohm region.
A trip in the oven and the ohmic resistance will likely show a disrupted (high resistance) sensor.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi Anders,
Thanks for the info on the tdc sensor. The car is an automatic so I suppose it's on the torque convertor bellhousing somewhere[?] Anyone know for sure [?]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I thought they were usually on the end of the crankshaft but inside the block ?, either way, you will find it somewhere around the join of the gearbox and engine if that helps
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Prior to this phenomenon the car started to cut out at random times when driving or wouldn't start after being left for a few minutes when parked? Does anyone think that this might have been an early manifestation of the problem [?].
XM-V6
My Cars:

Post by XM-V6 »

Hi Paulxmski
Maybe you can take a close look to the fuel pump relay,his connector and the contact pins.
I had similar symptons on my pug 206 1.1, It turned out to be one pin of the relay being bend and blue after being heated.
After some cleaning and rectifiing that pin it worked well again
for past year.
Greetings from Belgium.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Thanks XM-V6 I will look at the relays again
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi again,
can anyone say whether the TDC sensor for the 4cyl and V6 are the same as I have an offer of a free tdc off a 2.0xm
XM-V6
My Cars:

Post by XM-V6 »

Hi
look at: http://www.facet.it/index.asp select english language by clicking ("lingua")
When i look they are all the same
Succes
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi XM-V6,
As you may have seen from my new posting your advice on cleaning the relays was my first task today and it paid off because there is no more stalling when warm, however it does stall when the A/C cuts in. Big vote of thanks to you. I think it's the relay, but although I cleaned it and applied a small amount of copperease grease it hasn't improved. I have noticed that the revs are low around 850 and don't pick up to compensate for the A/C load. So it stalls not sure what can be done about this as the ecu fixes the revs and apparently adjustment is not possible[?]