Hub carrier not located correctly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ErikDK

Hub carrier not located correctly

Post by ErikDK »

Hello everyone,
I have just been doing an overhaul of the brakes - now, just as I were to mount the wheels I discovered that the hub carrier is not correctly located on the strut! The hub carrier in the right hand side does not touch the shoulder on the strut - it is located approx. 1.5 cm below. (I is correctly located in the left hand side).
Half a year ago I had a workshop changing the upper rubber mounts and I guess that they have not assembled the hub carrier to the strut correctly.
Do I have to take the front hub carrier assembly apart? Would it be possible to lift the hubcarrier in plce on the strut using a jack?
I thought that it might go in place when I lowered the car to the ground but this did not happen.
Any suggestions are very welcome!,
Best regards,
Erik
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

All you need do is to loosen the clamp nut and bolt where the hub carrier meets the strut, spread the hub carrier slot, then reposition correctly. There's a raised section on the strut which should sit in the slot.
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

Hi John,
Thanks for the answer,
I this raised section visible? I have been looking for it through the slut. Using a screwdriver as a tool to feel the raised section in the slot failed.
Does this raised section go all the way up to the shoulder where the hub carrier is supposed to be located?
Best regards,
Erik
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No, its only a lug about 1" long x 1/4" wide. If you can loosen the clamp sufficiently to be able to rotate the strut, it should drop in.
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

Thanks!
Now I see it - took a lever, opened that gap and secured it open with the 8 hex bit as suggested in the haynes book.
On my car it's only a "blob" of 5x5 mm.
What happened when I left the car at the dealer is that they have stopped once the hub carrier reached this blob the blob was 3-4 mm from the slut - and I have bee driving around with this for 8 months!!! Arrghhh - never leave the car at the dealer!
I wonder if any damage to my steering has been made?
I will now try to rotate the strut - thanks to all!
Erik
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No effect on the steering.
The strut simply does not shoot out more than necessary to get the correct height. You could in fact locate the strut in the hub carrier where you want - as long as the clamp can hold the strut.
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

so that will explain why I have not actually noticed this before seeing it today.
Thanks to everyone: The hub carrier is now in place and could be moved up to the shoulder without taken other components apart. The stut could be turned so the "blub" would fit into the slot. To move it the final few mm's I had to carefully knock it in position using using an old large socket as a drift - then I could knock on the bottom side of the hub carrier and it moved in position.
So now it's time to do what I started out to do: Put on the new discs and the renovated calipers ...
Erik