xantia: Brake pad wear warning system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ErikDK

xantia: Brake pad wear warning system

Post by ErikDK »

Hello everyone,
I have just fixed the brake pad wear warning system on my 96 xantia so in case some of you will run into the problem I would like to share my experience with you.
Renovating the front calipers I discovered that the wires to the brake pad wear warning system was broken just above where it is fixed to the frame in a rubber mount. This has also happend to a colleage of mine. As far as I can see you have to carefully check that this wire is not stretched when the wheels are in outer positions. I guess that the previous owner has neglected this :-( or perhaps this is a weak spot on the Xantia?
There are two wires going to the connector where the wires from the brake pads are connected. One is green and the other brown.
The green one is the one that connects to the two wires from the brake pads and the brown one is connected to ground internally in the connector. When the green one is connected to ground the warning lamp in the instrument panel turns on. You will measure the battery voltage on the green one and zero volts on the brown.
On my car the connector was slightly corroded with green stuff inside - so I gave it some penetrating oil suitable for electrical connections - that helped. I have made the wires longer so the problem will hopefully not occur again.
Coffee break is over - time to get back to the car!
Best regards,
Erik
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The technology behind this system hasn't moved on for years and is prone to false alarms or complete failure. I prefer to rely on 'wheels off, and have a look' to decide when to overhaul.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've never actually replaced pads because the pad wear indicators told me to. When I bought both of my two Xantias the discs were below minimum thickness (which meant new discs and pads) and the pad wear indicator didn't seem to notice
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

I also check the pads - I have only had the Xantia for some 8 months - my pads had also reached the minimum without activating the warning system.
On my girl friends BX it worked fine, the lamp turned on, and I replaced the pads the next weekend.
Erik
ITMA
My Cars:

Post by ITMA »

This is exactly what has happened on my Xantia.
I found one side broken and checked the other and found that broken too. At first I wasn't sure what the wire was for but once I figured out that it was for the pad wear indicators I simply cut them off at the connector near the hub (as I was going for an MOT next day).
Probably not the best of fixes but I never rely on these since constant problems with a GS many years ago.
I guess that it must be a weakness in design with the Xantia as there is little chance of misrouting the cable. Perhaps they dry out with time and then become less flexible and crack, eventually completely parting when at full lock.
Anyone else have this problem?