Battery fluids leaking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Battery fluids leaking

Post by steviewonder7 »

1994 Xantia 1.9TD
Hi folks,another problem to tease that grey matter into working hard.
I've recently noticed what appears to be battery fluid emanating from
the battery cell holes down onto the battery tray.The tray itself is a
right state and looks like this has been going on for a while.Would this
signify that the alternator is overcharging the battery,perhaps because
the regulator in the alt is breaking down(or broken in fact)or could it
be something else going on.The battery by the way looks fairly new,fluid levels are correct,cables at battery secure enough.I have a multimeter to check voltages if thats advisable.Thanks in advance for any replies[:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You're sure using dem water topping up the battery ?
If the alternator is overcharging (defective chargemodule) it is possible to boil out the battery - but that's another rather violent story.
Using your voltmeter you should have a maximum voltage of 14.4V when engine (and alternator) running and thus charging the battery. If the voltage is higher the alternator module is at fault.
When the engine is stopped, the battery is no more charged. Then the battery cell voltage slowly decays to a steady minimum of some 12.7V-12.8V.
If the voltage keeps decaying, either the battery is at fault or a load is draining the battery.
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

I agree with Anders - I would suggest cleaning carefully the batttery tray as the acid is highly corrosive.
Erik
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your replies.
If the voltages turn out to be incorrect therefore suspecting the alternator regulator,is it possible to renew the regulator from this valeo unit(like I've done on a ford vehicle years ago)and if so can you
or anyone suggest someone who might sell the said regulators as replacements as obviously I dont want to fork out for a new alternator
if I dont have to.Thanks again in advance to any replies.[:)]
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Can I mention the obvious?......is it filled to the correct level in the first place? If it is the alternator they can be bought from a breakers for around the £30 mark. A new exchange for the 70 amp is just over £100 for a Quinton Hazel re manufactured. As for a new regulator the breakers is still the best option either way? At least then you have a working unit?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

depend whos idea of correct level,as this should be only just above plates in battery,most people over fill it and when charge circuit is working fluid expands,hence over flowing all over your body work regards malcolm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi chaps,
I'm a little puzzled as this morning after leaving the car overnight and
taking a reading with my meter(engine off)the voltage was 12.5volts.
Upon starting the car the voltage then creeped up to 14.31 volts,within
the parameters allowed I believe.I also re-checked the battery fluid level and like one of you chaps pointed out the level was a few mil above the cell plates in each cell as deamed normal.
I did find one thing upon removing said battery to clean up that dreadful corrosion,which wasn't evident because it was on the rear of the battery,and that was a label with a date on it.It appears that the battery is 4 yrs old.Would its age be of any significance therefore
perhaps lending itself to this problem I have?I've never had any problems with starting the car(its a gem)and no other electrical problems thus far have reared their ugly head.Are there any other
possibilities not yet tried that you folks could suggest?
Yours puzzled.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not rearly as cells in car batterys dont normaly all fail together,you usuly find one of the end cells fail,unless it is over charging then it boils the fluid,dont misstake plastic ledges in battery openings for the plates,this is a common fault,try drawing some electrolight out of one of the cells untill you get a clear view as far down into battery as you can,this is top of plates,then make sure fluid is only just over this point regards malcolm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

I'll double check the battery.[:)]Thanks for your help.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Was the battery low on charge over the winter?
If so, it's possoble for the electrolyte to freeze and crack the casing (like a cracked block). It's usually difficult to see the fault - best to wash and dry the battery all over, and inspect it later for the source of the leak. There are products sold to fix the problem, but I've never had much success with them.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

I bought the car off a dealer 3 months ago after the winter period and when I removed the battery to inspect the corrosion I rested it on some cardboard just in case of the cracks that you have mentioned would show itself (if there was one).I had the battery on the cardboard for an hour and cleaned it,nothing appeared to be leaking.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had an alternator regulator go on my BX TD and what was most noticeable was that the headlights would intermittently work better ( as the voltage rose for a bit) and the wipers would go beserk. The point I'm making is that I had an intermittent fault. In fact I could feel it cutting in and out when running on a light throttle. the battery fumed/boiled and chucked out some acid.
jeremy
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Further to thoroughly cleaning the battery tray, it's advisable to give it a good wash in a weak alkaline solution to neutralise the acid - try sodium bicarbonate (baking powder).
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Just to let you know ,my electrical items(lights,wipers,heater blower)all appear to function as they should,which as you point out,you would think would operate strangely if there was an alternator problem.Last week I was on night shift,meaning using headlights,sometimes wipers at the same time and considering my journey to work is a 60 mile trip you'd think something electrical would rear its ugly head,but nothing did,only battery leakage.
Thats also not a bad idea,I will try baking powder on the batt tray to neutralise the acid.
Thanks all :)