WOW Nice SM on Ebay

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

WOW Nice SM on Ebay

Post by adamskibx »

This looks an absolute beauty- If only I could win the lottery!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 91505&rd=1
Shame its got the American headlights that dont rotate with the steering but that also means its got the best engine, and has been coupled to a 5 speed manual box.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think all the alterations will spoil its appeal for a lot of people.. Two colour changes.. engine changed, different gearbox fitted, headlight mods.. People like "Classic's" be as original as possible..
.[:)]
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

yeah maybe but it seems to have had all the right mods considering its an american import- all the right engine bits, disabled air con, manual gearbox is much nicer i think personally. Also the american front lights are ugly as standard as they werent allowed to rotate or have the glass cover on them-at least theyve improved the looks by putting a glass cover on them like the european ones. And it least all the mods are SM bits- Personally I couldnt think of a better SM, yeah original would be nice but in this case it wouldnt- The American ones looked ugly with those lights uncovered and who'd want an auto box on a sports car.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Interesting that the lights were not allowed to swivel huh.. And I like the cover they have over them. [:)] As for the manual gearbox, well thats a matter of choice, personaly I prefer automatics..
The "E" type Jag had to have a v12 engine, chrome wire wheels and Auto box to make top money, any manual Jag was/is hard to sell, and always well 'behind book' price, The Triumph Stag was almost unsalable with a manual box, and were exceptional in as much as the modified version with the Rover V8 engine and auto box was far more popular than the original, due to the original Stag engine being duff [8)]. But on the other hand the Auto version of the MGB GT was hard to get rid of, [:o)] no accounting for taste huh.. lol..
I think F1 cars are all auto now? [;)] heh heh..[:D] If they add much more computer controlled stuff to them they soon wont need a driver.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Yeah I suppose its a matter of taste and what people want from certain cars. I dont know that the lights werent allowed to rotate but it wouldnt suprise me considering its America- I know the glass covers were totally unacceptable over there- It may be that Citroen thought there was no need for rotating lights as the roads are so straigt and wide.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

What added complications was that the Yanks demanded round headlamps too. Look at Merc SLs of the same vintage. Hideous! All a plan to make European cars as ugly as the yank tanks of the time!
Interesting colour now though. Not sure I like it though!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, gents, this is a wrong 'un. You know it has been bodged because the a/c has been disconnected. SM buffs pull the crank out of the motor and weld the cam drive sprocket on which cures the problem. That rings my alarm bells as does the new paint. He wants way over top money, too; (Maser prices have been falling for some time, trust me, I take a very great interest in them because one day I'll buy one.) Nope, walk away. £10,000 is the right price for a good one but it must not have a murky history like this bitsa.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

LPG conversion: on a classic?
How to ruin one...
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Yeah your probably right there Tom- I like the idea of an LHM conversion personally. - Can always be removed again! Theres another one on Ebay now; 2 SM's on Ebay at the same time! This ones much less and looks original and the guy says he'd rather the buyer see it with a few imperfections first.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

LHM adam? LPG surely. :-)
Id like an SM, saw and played in one just imported from the states a while back. Sounds so good its not true. lovely.
As Tom says though, would not want a messed one.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

LOL Oh yes I think I must have subconciously said LHM!! Blimmin Citroens on the mind! Or maybe ive got dyslexia- Should get tested really[:)]