Rear Height corrector - Union leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Rear Height corrector - Union leak

Post by adzbaby »

Well Almost there!!
Put the 97 2.0 16v Xantia VSX in for it MOT today (that I have recently done an engine rebuild on) and it failed (I knew it was going to but tried anyhow).
It failed due to a leaking union on the rear height corrector (see picture). I have asked the garage to quote me for the job as if they do the work the retest fee of £42 is waived.
I am considering replacing the pipe myself but someone has kindly rounded the nut to buggery (obviously trying to 'nip' it up i guess with the wong spanner[:(!]). I have the 'supply' and 'return' diagrams for the rear suspension and have identified it as one of 4 pipes (a genuine Sherlock Holmes me [;)]). On the pictures supplied they're numbered 1, 7 on the return circuit diagram 2
Diagram 2:
and 2 and 3 on the supply diagram 3:
The leaking union is the one thats 'frontside' i.e. facing toward the front.
It doesn't leak when the suspension is going up, and only leaks when the suspension is droppig down from a higher position and also when the car was on the Mot stations ramps (when there was no pressure on the tyres). Which lends me to the idea that its a return pipe that pressurizes when the suspension is lowering and sending fluid back to the reservoir? If thats the case, then its either pipe 1 or 7 on the return diagram (2). Can anybody confirm this for me?
Also if it is either pipes 1 or 7 (or 2,3), how much of a pain in the ass is it to replace? What is the damage to the back pocket likely to be at a garage?
Cheers
Adam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

before trying to undo pipe just check short rubber hose above that metal pipe,as it is quite common for this to be perished and split,it will make it look like you metal pipe is leaking,if this is ok make sure there is a seal on your metal pipe regards malcolm
ErikDK

Post by ErikDK »

You can buy a special spanner made for these kind of unions - it's like a ringspanner but is sliced up so you can get in over the pipe and the over the union. This way the spanner will touch the union on all sides. If you use an ordinary spanner make sure it fits smoothly.
Erik
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

split ring spanner not much use when nut rounded off regards malcolm
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Too True, its completely buggered, no flare spanner will sort that out, already tried!
Also Malcolm checked the rubber hose, snipped it back and pushed it back on as it did feel loose but alas it is the union nut.
Does anybody know which pipe it may be from the above diagrams and how long it is?
Ta.
Adam.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Diagrams/pics not working for me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

diagram(1) pipe 1 and diagram (2)pipe 2/3 are metal pipes,diagram (1) pipe 7 is rubber,it looks like your pipe goes to front of car which i think is main metal return pipe which just plugs in at front end,try mole grips and you might have to remove the other pipe first to give more room regards malcolm