Xantia 1.9 TD Brakes Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 TD Brakes Problem

Post by soupy_sam »

I was towing a caravan in cornwall and went down a steep hill and had to stand on the brakes most of the way down. When I got to the bottom there was smoke coming from the steering column only a little but it was smoke pretty acrid at that. For the rest of the journey back to the midlands (350 miles) there were no problems or smoke.
Should I strip out the Steering Column to see what was burning . Why did it happen.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

sounds like you just got the brakes f****g hot; try using a low gear,and slow right down next time!!
Which reminds me, must sort out the brakes on "er indoors's" 205!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Smoke wouldn't get into your vent systems when you overheat the brakes because the intake is where the bonnet joins the windscreen. The only way it could get in would be to work its way in through the bulkhead, perhaps where the brakes / clutch / steering / accelarator went through the bulkhead. Probably nothing to worry about.
Smoke from brakes is bad, its not just the brakes that get overheated, its the wheel bearings ABS sensors and anything else around. If you overheat wheel bearings really badly you can get the grease to run out of them onto the brakes which makes smoke, apparently quite common on trucks.
You might want to check what condition your brakes are in, if the pads are worn they can transmit more heat to the caliper than new pads would (the friction material acts as an insulator). Maybe you could think about swapping to estate front discs too (or V6 / 2.1TD / Activa ones), the calipers are a straight swap over.
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

I don't think it was from the actual brakes I think it was from electrics in steering column it smelt like wiring insulation that was burning
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Coincidental that something electrical decided to die at the same time that you were overheating your brakes?
I wonder whether the pad wear sensors could have got in on the act somehow and maybe something did short out. Check whether you've got any fuses blown because the fuses should blow long before the wiring does itself any damage and would indicate whether anything has shorted out.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I expect your brake lights work on s switch similar to that fitted to the BX. Its a nylon assembly bolted to a bracket at the top of the pedal and as soon as the pedal is touched it turns on the brake lights and also activates the ABS.
My guess is that your switch has expired and melted. New ones are a few quid and more uncomfortable than difficult to fit.
Whereas Mini ones used to screw into a tapped boss and so were easy to fit one handed, the BX one passes through a plain hole and needs a nut placing on the far side as it were to secure it. You'll enjoy doing that one!
jeremy