LHM reservoir float level problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

LHM reservoir float level problem

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi all I'm a newbie to this forum and was wondering if you kind folks
could help with one of a few problems I have with my Xantia.The car is a 1994 1.9TD Xantia with 87k on the clock has full citroen service history.I've had the car 3 months and noticed the LHM reservoir float indicator(orange disk)has always registered as high in the glass housing as it would physically go.Taking off the reservoir cap reveals what i believe to be a reasonable level of fluid.Yesterday I followed the haynes manual and topped up the reservoir,to find that the float doesn't move at all.I put in approx 1 litre of lhm fluid at that time and decided to remove some so that when the suspension is finally at rest there's enough room in the reservoir for any fluid to flow back into.Last night to my horror I found a large puddle of LHM fluid on the ground underneath the reservoir.Any help is greatfully appreciated[:(]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you set your suspension to its highest setting (with the engine running), the float should float and register a level, at all other suspensionn heights it just records too high a level. I've had a float sticking, but I think some of the others on here have had on BXs and suchlike.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steviewonder7</i>
Last night to my horror I found a large puddle of LHM fluid on the ground underneath the reservoir.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So presumably, the top of the reservoir was running with LHM? To make sure my float doesn't stick in the high position (again), I have a 2mm hole drilled in the top of the dome so that I can give it a push. The hole is sealed with a dob of bluetac.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have never seen sticking float,usuly if it is right up the top on high suspention and on level ground your tank is far tow much citroen blood in tank,you cant check level looking in the tank,because it is never where you expect it to be,you can easely take float out just remove two wires and rotate the unit about quarter of a turn holding it at its base regards malcolm
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Good idea John,
I ran around for 6 months with my STOP light flickering on and off, especially going up hills when loaded .. couldn't figure out what it was .. 2 citroen dealers couldn't see the problem... eventually took it to an independant and they found it was a very low LHM level and because the float had stuck the main dealers had assumed the fluid level was ok. Now I always check the fluid level manually and never trust the float.. but I might use your idea John.. it would make the weekly check a bit less messy.
Cheers,
Chris
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steviewonder7</i>
Last night to my horror I found a large puddle of LHM fluid on the ground underneath the reservoir.
So presumably, the top of the reservoir was running with LHM? To make sure my float doesn't stick in the high position (again), I have a 2mm hole drilled in the top of the dome so that I can give it a push. The hole is sealed with a dob of bluetac.
Thanks,like many others for replying to my post,just to let you know the top of the lhm reservoir wasn't running with lhm fluid,the fluid
was dripping from elsewhere-where I'm unsure of.Since Ive posted my problem post Ive been running my car with no ill effects despite said
leak found on the ground.Hope I dont have a badly weeping fluid line
somewhere !!I'll be checking for that tommorrow.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I would check out your leak pronto! Mine had a slow drip from under the reservoir. Suddenly I lost all the LHM within three minutes. The anti-sink valve had burst.