OMG : Bought myself a "new" BX !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

OMG : Bought myself a "new" BX !

Post by AndersDK »

An '89 TRD Turbo Estate Tecnic, 256Kmiles on the clock ( ! ).
Dark grey paint antrasit paint code ETM.
PAS, all4 ew, c/l, split rear seats, roof bars.
Runs great ! Pulls like a petrol 19TRS !
Originally sold in Germany - then exported to DK s/h.
Was dirt cheap, £350, MOT exp october/05.
My cheapest car buy ever with a valid MOT left.
Niggles (taking a deep breath now !) :
1) The height control has got a life of it's own
2) The PR is ticking every 4-5 sec.
3) The radiator is leaking apparantly (<font color="red">oooooooh</font id="red"> - on a diesel !)- HA ! a leaking hose on stud [8D]
4) dead battery (fun [:p] )
5) Rust is to be found on deeper investigation (lottery [:p] )
6) Rattle from front suspension
7) Boot door RHS hinge has been torn out of the roof [:(] - nasty damage. LHS hinge not much better.
8) dash clock (LCD) no display w/ headlights on
9) Winter wheels only
10) No towbar
11) <font color="red">FILTHY</font id="red"> inside. But opholstery is in good shape (I hope)
12) ew's seems in general to have trouble winding up (it's raining [8] )
13) handbrake defunc
14) most bulbs in dash defunc
15) diesel tacho (rev counter) has a life of it's own
16) no wheel caps
17) No HiSpeed func on blower fan (but all BX owners know why by now [:)] )
18) Rear wiper axle stuck solid
19) The part of bumper on boot door is split at mid
20) Drivers door upper hinge almost parted from pillar
21) RH headlamp dangling on 2 studs only
22) found 2 cambelt stickers in engine bay. One at 105Kkm - another at 308Kkm. Wonder how much more this will run [8)][:p]
It's gonna be a fun, fun, fun summer this year [:p][^][8D]
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Congratulations, seems that you are going to have some fun fixing it all.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Another (still) badly bitten by the BX bug!! Image
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Congratulations Anders - makes mine (same DTR Turbo estate - 1989)seem like a youngster at 198,000 miles.
Looks like a summer of fun!
(I paid £550 and a nearly worthless Renault 21 for mine in November 1999 with 163,000 miles - shows the price differences between countries - mind you I couldn't get it over 30 mph on a test drive - the throttle pedal had dropped off!)
Jeremy
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

That's only 410,000kms..... She's barely run in yet (makes my old CX at nearly 140,000miles very young [:D] [}:)]).
I'm sure you'll get her running properly. That does sound like a very cheap car, you explained several times before how expensive cars in your area are [:0]
seeya,
Shane L.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good old bxs every one should have one,lot easyer to mend than them orible xantias,i run 1.9 non TD with aprox 230k on clock,which i had gas flowed couple of years back,your new toy sounds like a shed though im sure you will fix her up,in UK you could buy a rearly good one for that money regards malcolm
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Cars are obviously expensive where you are.
My AX cost £70 at an auction as it needed a new back box for the MOT. It only had about 50,000 miles then and just one former keeper who had really looked after it.
My cheapest car was a Fiat 126 for £20 with a few months MOT left.
I am a bit of a tight wad so my dearest ever car was £1200 for an ex-minicross mini. That was a poor buy. Spent a fortune on it only for it to blow up twice. Stupid car as well as it was hopeless as a student run around. I dont know what I was thinking!!
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Anders....you must be doing it for the love as they say because I could not see any return for the effort here. You are a very brave enthusiast! Keep us informed.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Congratulations and good luck!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3) The radiator is leaking apparantly (oooooooh - on a diesel !)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And even more oooooooh on a turbodiesel due to the extra expensive radiator, unfortunately. On the other hand, well done for securing a rescuable turbodiesel and best of luck in renovating this neglected example. All well within your capabilities, Anders. However, I hope you don't run out of time before the next MOT.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

Cars are obviously expensive where you are.
My AX cost £70 at an auction as it needed a new back box for the MOT. It only had about 50,000 miles then and just one former keeper who had really looked after it.
My cheapest car was a Fiat 126 for £20 with a few months MOT left.
I am a bit of a tight wad so my dearest ever car was £1200 for an ex-minicross mini. That was a poor buy. Spent a fortune on it only for it to blow up twice. Stupid car as well as it was hopeless as a student run around. I dont know what I was thinking!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Tax refund for scrapping a (MOT expired) car is £200 in DK. You pay some £90 for an authorised scrapper to get rid of the car friendly to mother earth. That leaves you with a nice £110 in hand - and car in small pieces ready to ship in bags - for China Steels Ltd.
In other words : unless you want to give away money - you can not go under that magic limit of £110-120 selling a wreck.
Mind you that outside Britain there is a whole lot of different ways making up a society.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Well done Anders, we all know what you will be doing with your spare time this summer now.
Stewart
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

That little list will keep you quiet for a while Anders. It's a pity you are so far way, A Mad BX Weekend would be a hoot.....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Yep - shame your not a little closer. Getting more used to fettling the BX (slowly) though the wife is making rude noises about the car - so I have hidden mine for now.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Mad BX weekend in Danmark? Don't get them started Anders. Welcome back to BX land and good luck with Satans Bilinspektion.