ZX engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

ZX engine

Post by skypilot »

I have a dead ZX TD engine I'm going to rebuild. The engine in the car is fine and doesn't need replacing so once the engine is rebuilt I would like to bench test it instead of putting it back in the car. Does anyone have experience of this or is it mad to even think about it without proper workshop facilities?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have actually run them sitting on the ground but in view of the availability and price of secondhand engines I wouldn't have thought it would be a viable proposition.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You can only judge if the engine will start and run this way - and of course that it has no oil/water leaks. You would get no idea if it has any power to pull - or a missing cylinder under load.
I'd say it's not worth the hassle - you have to build up a cooling + exhaust sytem to test run it - and some kind of simple jig to prevent it rolls over.
It's much easier in car.
Dont know what you mean by rebuild. If you need just another reliable runner for years I'd say you replace the main & big end bearing + endfloat shells with standard parts. That's it.
Or even just the big end shells - can be done simply removing the sump - in-situ in-car.
Will for sure give any 150+ Kmiler engine a "new engine" feeling.
Unless the engine has been abused with oil changes - the piston rings will outlast the engine.
If you need a performance engine - it's a completely different matter though. And expensive.