Where to put the oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Java

Where to put the oil?

Post by Java »

Pulled the drive shaft to replace the rubber boots... Berlingo 1.8
petrol one, but lost the oil from the g/box. So where does the new lot go in..... can't see the fill up point? Help it's the missus car.
Thanks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If its like BX and ZX there is a steel cover on the nearside end of the gearbox and one of the securing bolts is in fact a combined filler and level plug. - its larger and the cover curves around it.
Make sure you use the correct oil otherwise your gearchanges may deteriorate.
Jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You will probably have to take off the plastic liner to get to it.
Marlon65
My Cars:

Post by Marlon65 »

With my ZX 1.4 '95, the refill point is under the battery. The battery has to be removed completely, then its metal base plate also has to be removed. Only then you will see a black plastic cover about 20mm in diameter. You will need a funnel to avoid spilling the gear oil. Regarding mixing different brands or different types, I can't tell anything on that. The only question I have is how would anyone know if you have put the correct amount or not.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Marlon65</i>

With my ZX 1.4 '95, the refill point is under the battery. The battery has to be removed completely, then its metal base plate also has to be removed. Only then you will see a black plastic cover about 20mm in diameter. You will need a funnel to avoid spilling the gear oil. Regarding mixing different brands or different types, I can't tell anything on that. The only question I have is how would anyone know if you have put the correct amount or not.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
*If* the filler plug is a combined filler/level plug as suggested, you basically put oil in until it starts coming out again [:D]
The only one I've ever done is a GS gearbox and that has the filler plug on the side as well. In that case I used a long clear pipe attached to a funnel and slowly poured it in. When it reaches the right level it will start to overflow out the plug, into a container you've cleverly positioned below it...
It's impossible to overfill it as it will just run out again, but you can underfill it.
The only trick is to make sure the car is on level ground, as if the car is leaning to the side you will end up overfilling it or underfilling it depending on the lean. Apparently overfilling a gearbox with oil can have very nasty consequences, so it's not to be recommended....
Regards,
Simon