Radiator ZX. info required .SORTED.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Radiator ZX. info required .SORTED.

Post by James.UK »

Hiya, I am off to see Stewart tomorrow (oilyspanner [:)]) he is going to fit a new radiator in the Aura, I have ordered the radiator from the Mcr (S) T/park dept of GSF but I can't find the part number for the "O" ring that goes on one of the pipes?? and they say they cant find any record of one??
They can get me a radiator for the 1990-93 diesel automatic ok, the one that has the extra pipe returning to the it from the g/box cooler on the right hand side, but claim there is no "O" ring listed for any radiator connections on this car.. Can anyone help me with a part number please? or even a more explicit name for the part I need?
I am picking the rad up in the morning, I need the information by then if possible.. [:I] thanks.[:)]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

I did some radiator work on the ZX when I had one. I just bought various packs of assorted O rings from Halfrauds, and found one that fitted most closely. They only cost pennies and can be found in the odds and sods section - the bit with all the different nuts and bolts, washers etc. The remaining O rings that I didn't use now regularly turn up in pockets, the washing machine, in the study, at my desk at work....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you meen O ring in neck of bottom hose they are avalable from citroen ,be carfull of stupid plastic fixing on end of hose,as they do snap if you dont know how they work regards malcolm
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Cheers Oscar, I will try that if I get stuck.. [:)]
Malcolm, to be honest I dont know where it goes, but Stewart does! [:D] I think it goes in one of the bottom hose connections as you say.. We have a local Cit dealer so I will make that my first call in the morning before picking up the rad and heading off to Wales..
We also intend to look at making the wiper park the other side, one problem will be breaking the lower seal on the windscreen as the cover over the wiper mechanism tucks up under it, [8)] [:(!] but the Aura has got a nasty stone chip in its screen so will have to be replaced very shortly anyway.. will report on the wiper project after the event.. [:)]
The Aura had a very small radiator leak when bought last year, Fortes fixed it.. But, the coolant was changed when the service was done just prior to its MOT about a month ago, i did ask the garage to put some Fortes in the new coolant, they may have forgotten to do so, hence the presant problem.. The leak is worse now, too big a leak to mess with.. New rad needed.. [V]
The problem only came to light when the cars fans were heard running when the engine was turned off.. I topped it up with water (from my pond) [:I] [:D] and then ran the moter for 30 secs or so, no hiss when rad cap removed, and no signs of bubbles, oil, slurry or anything in the coolant. "touches wood" [:o)]. So a new radiator should solve the problem.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Had a great afternoon at Stewarts (Oilyspanner) In Wales, lovely area, the rain stayed off and the job went well, [:)]..
The "O" ring in question goes into the large water pipe at the bottom of the radiator on the left hand end when standing in front of the car. If you are carefull you can re-use the old one, as the pipe should pull straight out of its housing, dont try to twist it as there is a location lug built in the bottom of the boss on the rad.
To refit, Grease up the O ring (approx diameter 31mm) and slide it onto the nose of the pipe, then making sure the slot at the bottom lines up with the lug in the rad, push the pipe home.. Finaly, twist the plastic coller round to lock the holding arms in place. It will help if you grease the coller up so that it moves freely before you try fixing the pipe onto the radiator.[:)]
We didn't mess with the wiper arm as time was running out, I will sort that later [:)]..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well did regards malcolm