BX series2 Radio Removal - I'm stuck!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

BX series2 Radio Removal - I'm stuck!

Post by jeremy »

Yes - thats it I can't even manage to remove the radio from my BX DTR Turbo Estate (1989 - same as TZD )
To explain it to those not familiar with this particular piece of motoring history this is a typical Citroen flap cover system, with the radio situated down low immediately above the console. The radio/casette is a Phillips of the right age but probably not the original as the car came with instructions for a Clarion. I think there is a metal sleeve which holds the radio and is clipped into the plastic fascia and the whole thing screws in with 4 screws - ie just like a ZX non standard cover/adaptor.
I've removed all 4 screws on the fascia (and can't see any more) and the whole thing is loose-ish but seems to be held by the bottom right hand corner. the left side pulls out a bit but the right will not. I can pass a screwdriver down most of the RHS but there could be something at the bottom.
Not rocket science I know but still irritatiing and I want to get my MP3 player in!
Thanking you in anticipation
jeremy
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

I had this problem with my BX St Tropez- Speak to Vanny as he got mine out when him and his mate came down to buy it off me. Good luck with that.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If you grovel in the footwell you can bend the plastic trim a little and force your hand up behind the stereo you may find the obstruction then,its likely to be the DIN sleeve which has metal tags that are bent outwards to varying degrees to hold the sleeve in the aperture, many stereos have holes in the front to accomodate prongs or other devices which make the stereo grip the sleeve which in turn comes out once the stereo is out of the way.
Stewart
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if youyhave removed 4 screws there is some time a 10mm nut at rear of radio in centre,unless wires hav3e become hooked up on back end of centre consol tray,normaly when srews around face of radio are removed the hol thing usuly just pulls away,then you gain acssesto fixings regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thanks - I wondered about the possibility of a support strap especially when my new unit says fit one to keep the CD player stable. I thought about getting the front part of the console out but couldn't get the two (plastic) nuts/caps off. These are at the front and look like flat plastic discs about 1 inch in diameter. Haynes describes them as screws and indeed they do have holes in but what fits them I don't know. I'll have to have another go at them with a bit more determination and see if I can get my hand underneath the radio to feel for the obstruction.
My new unit has the familiar sharp claws on the side which engage in the sleeve and comes with two tools for operating them from the front. the tools are made of the softest metal I have ever handled but will release it. The Philips radio looks as though it has 4 sockets for a tool and I seem to remember that special Phillips removal tools were available and were much larger and flatter. Come to think of it I have another similar Phillips radio in my shed - and I'll have a look at that and see if I can work out how that fits in its sleeve (if it has one!). If I can get the Phillips out of its sleeve I may be able simply to fit the new one in the existing sleeve.
I never thought I woulde say the ZX trim was simpler but it is!
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the discs normaly unscrew as they are on a stud with a course thread,also you will be beter of fitting new sleeve because it will have corect slots for radio,the old unit is not usuly any trouble to remove,as they come out complete with flap and holder then you split metal carrier from plastic carrier regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I initially thought the discs were like those used elsewhere which simply screw on to a stud - but rotate these and they will keep you happy for ever - they don't seem to unscrew.
I appreciate the point about the sleeve - probably the claw fittings are different.
Jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've done it.
In fact when I get the front fascia out I see that the whole thing is rather well mamde and a bit more comprehensive than the ZX installation.
In a ZX the radio unit is simply a matter of fixing the sleeve in the fascia plate and fitting the whole job in the fascia with 4 screws through the face. Having done the ZX and seeing 4 screws I thought it was the same job. In fact whereas there is nothing of significance behind the fascia plate on the ZX there is a close fitting framework on the BX and what had happened was that the sleeve fixings were caught up in this framework.
So eventually it was radio out of sleeve by depressing the 2 side clips (with a couple of instrument makers screwdrivers), extract radio then extract sleeve.
Incidentally I did remove the front part of the console and the two screw-like fixings (one on each side at the front of the side flaps) turn out to be a simple rubberlike rivet - pull out to free, push back to secure. Getting the thing out over the handbrake was fun.
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usuly you just remove 4 screws of which 2 are under and 2 are over radio faceure,then you can remove the hole thing carryer,flap,sleeve and radio all in one lump so you can seperate it on the bench,coffe table or dinning table regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

That was just the problem - the thing just wouldn't come out - and the reason is that the sleeve tags had been bent behind the brackets on the car itself. Having carefully fitted the new sleeve to the fascia I then found that it wouldn't go back in as the tags hit the same brackets - so what happens is that you bend some tags with the fascia fitted and get them behind the brackets - and so the thing won't come apart again.
Jeremy