Xantia driveshaft rubber boot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

patneenan
My Cars:

Xantia driveshaft rubber boot

Post by patneenan »

Is it possible to change the passenger side driveshaft rubber boot in situ, ie without taking shaft off , as i've just seen grease splattered all around it and it seems to be split.
What kind of a job is it and is a lot involved in changing or even repairing it ?
patneenan
My Cars:

Post by patneenan »

Forgot to say it's the outer boot
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It's just as easy to take the shaft out and do it as there is no centre bearing on the nearside. Yo have to disconnect the shaft from the hub anyway, so just pull, or you may find it necessary to to release the snap ring on the diff end, you can do this by clamping a large pair of mole grips on the inner end of the shaft and giving it a smart clout outwards. Having the shaft off means you can put it in a vice to remove the CV joint, makes it a lot easier. Having removed the boot and grease, place a metal bar, about 1/2" diameter against the inner end of the joint also against the shaft and give that a sharp clout outwards with a fairly heavy hammer.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

In my experience they love to fall out of the gearbox anyway, make sure you have something under there to catch the oil as approx one litre will come out.
Stewart