ZX 1.9d clutch - cable ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

radar
My Cars:

ZX 1.9d clutch - cable ??

Post by radar »

Hi all,
135,000 miles and my clutch pedal is past adjustment and several washers fitted on the cable to keep it below the dash board. the thing is that the clutch is not slipping and is quiet and not stiff in operation, gear selection is only affected but long slow gear changes have been in use for over months now. my questions are is this a low milage to have clutch replaced , its not had a hard life, are cables prone to stretching and could this be a simple refix of the fault , how hard is it to renew cable (many times experience of bx cables), or do the clutch pressure plates weaken and wear hence all this freeplay to be taken up in the cable, should I be aware of any weak or broken brackets that may cause this fault.
is the clutch an easy job to replace at home, must the box come off completly or can a fast fit company 'swing it' with one shaft removed.
is ther only one clutch type or should I wait till its out and get a replacement as pattern
its a 1994 1.9d non turbo estate
thanks in advance
CU
Radar
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

135,000 miles is not to bad for a clutch, some folk can reduce them to scrap at a lot less mileage than this, all depends how they are driven.
I don't think a new cable will make much difference but when the clutch is finally replaced you will want to complete the job with a new cable anyway, then you have at least the same miles to go before it needs touching again.
The bad news is that on these clutches the release bearing wears it way through the fingers on the diaphragm spring, eventually it will go right through and the pedal will remain flat to the floor, this happened to me on a 205 diesel at about 150,000 miles, same set up as the cit.
If the pedal starts to feel mushy and gears get difficult to engage, you haven't got much time before the inevitable happens I'm affraid, I adjusted the clutch up again when this started to happen but it only lasted for about another 100 or so miles.
If you have confidence in your ability and a good tool kit, the job should be well within your scope, the box has to be completely removed, there is no way to do it without.
Dave
p.s the clutch kit from A/S is the Valeo original part, the turbo D clutch is totaly different so make sure you don't get the wrong one.
Edited by - Dave Burns on 03 Oct 2002 20:17:24
radar
My Cars:

Post by radar »

Thanks again Dave B
I knew you would shine your pit lamp and give me info that I need
Cheers
RADAR