Fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jo

Fuel

Post by Jo »

My 1.9TD starts straight away with a full tank, but then takes increasingly longer as the fuel level decreases. The system is obviously de-pressuring as the amount of the diesel lowers. Any ideas?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Blocked vent pulling down a vacuum?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Air leak in fuel supply circuit, fuel filter needs changing or as above.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

For a vacuum problem in the tank, as with a blocked vent, you should hear a suction noise when removing the filler cap after a long journey or when you experience this problem when re filling the tank.
Jo

Post by Jo »

Thanks for the advice. As there is no sound of air filling a vacuum when re-filling the tank and no apparent leaks, could it be a faulty valve (assuming there is one) in the hand primer pump, causing the fuel, after reaching a certain level, to return to the tank?
RobL
My Cars:

Post by RobL »

Hi Jo, I'm a new member like yourself (First post after a month of lurking and learning A HELL OF A LOT-thanks guys)
I have just got a second Xantia 1.9TD and it had a similar problem, sometimes it took well over 45s to start, even when hot. It turned out to be the clip missing from the pipe on the feed side of the hand pump - allowing air to get in which means all the fuel in the pipe runs back into the tank. Just a thought.