Are my height correctors broke?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ripsaw82
My Cars:

Are my height correctors broke?

Post by ripsaw82 »

I find my suspention hard, very hard for a Xantia, (SX, 94)
I was doing citerobics today, and there are the 4 positions 1(bottom) 2 (drive mode) 3 and top one 4.
If i go from
1-2 car rises
2-3 car rises
3-4 car rises
4-3 car does not drop.
4-2 car does drop
2-1 car drops
Why will my car not drop from top height, to the 3rd position when going down? is it the height correctors? It had a new plastic clip on the linkage at the rear only 2000 miles ago...
With this i'm thinking thats why my ride is so poor.
Also is there anyway of seeing of the hydrolic pump is on its way out?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be just that the hieght correctors are sticking, try squirting some WD40 on them, several applications over a few days may be needed. Poor ride is usually due to lack of pressure in the spheres, try bouncing each corner of the car with the engine running, the front should move 3 or 4" and the rear about 6". As far as the pump is concerned, if the suspension rises fairly quickly after starting the engine it should be OK.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

You'll rarely see any change in height between position 4-3, the only difference between the two is that in 3 there is still some movement left in the suspension. In 4 there is not, so don't worry. The plastic link only operates the normal ride height position (2).
Do Peters test for the sphere's and also take a look at the LHM fluid in the tank. Check that it is still a luminous green colour, if not then it needs changing and maybe flushing with Hydraflush to allow the struts to move smoothly.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hight corectors very seldom give trouble,usuly they just become cloged with sludge that gets traped in them or the linkage becomes sized regards malcolm