306 diesal fuel probs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sirdogbert1

306 diesal fuel probs

Post by sirdogbert1 »

my 306 N reg has got a fuel problem, it starts fine and runs ok untill it has been reved up, as soon as this happens the priming bulb is sucked in and i can see air going in to the fuel pump, and if it is reved for long enough while driving it will lose all power and if i put the cluch in while it has no power it cuts out.
what i have done so far is change both fuel filters and blown down all the fuel line to check for blockages and there is none. i am stuck now cos i don't know what i can do. any help whould be greatly thanked.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Has the priming bulb been removed from the vehicle? Sounds as though it's the wrong way round.
sirdogbert1

Post by sirdogbert1 »

yea it has but it is the right way cos i removed it today when i was checking for blockages and it is on the right way. i was gona get a new one anyway (if it was cheap) but the car shop near me don't sell them so i didn't bother. if u think it is that i might go see if i can get one??
boffy

Post by boffy »

Hello
Did you get your problem fixed hopefully?
I have exactly the same problem with my 306 diesel - the primer bulb collapses inwards and the car loses power and stops!
Does anyone know the answer please?
Boffy
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

when did you last change the fuel filter? It may be blocked.
solara

Post by solara »

I would suspect a faulty primer bulb (internal 1 way valve has collapsed). A blocked fuel filter would not cause the primer to collapse.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This sounds like a blocked fuel tank vent. When the primer bulb collapses, undo the fuel tank cap. Is there a sudden inrush of air?
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

run the car with the fuel cap undone, if the problem goes away then the fuel tank breather is blocked.
sirdogbert1

Post by sirdogbert1 »

i fixed mine not long ago now
i took the top off the fuel tank and in there is like a mesh filter over the pick up pipe and it was full of crap in one spot so i cleaned it up and then cut the pipe down a bit so it was sucking from more than one place and it has been fine since.