xantia td engine oil which is right

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

xantia td engine oil which is right

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
i just need some advice i want to get the oil changed in my xantia 1.9td n reg and i went to my local garage and they told me there,s two types of oil recomended semi sythetic or the proper diesel engine oil so which is right as the semi synthetic is cheaper than the diesel oil or is it safe to use ether one
pete...........
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

semi synthetic is fine if it states on can sutable for TD engines,most oils are universal for petrol and diesel these days but read on can anyway regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have run all my diesels, including CX, BX, and four XMs, on £5-6 per can oils from Trago Mills. Providing the oil meets the required spec and you dont thrash the life out of the engine, it should be adequate. For extra protection, and because its easier to remeber, I change mine every 5K miles. I used to drive 30k + per year, the CX had done 266k when I sold it and one of the XMs 292k!
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys
thanks peter and malcolm
Well ive changed my oil and filter. i went into my local citroen dealer today and they recomended 10/40 semi synthetic oil is right for the car well really im a newcomer to diesel so i thought you had to have special diesel engine oil so today ive found out that is not the case. i used to drive a 7.5 ton ford cargo diesel lorry for a living (not mine the companys) and that used to use proper diesel oil so thought the same for my car so all this is really a surprise to me
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

The older TD engine does pass a lot of acidic soot into the oil, (compared to modern HDis for example). So a good quality oil is needed that has adequate buffer capacity so the oil doesn't become too acidic.
If you want to extend your oil change intervals you can use Millers oils, which were originally developed for truck engines. I've had the oil tested by Millers in my old ZX TD after 12000 miles and it was still passed as fine. They're not expensive but I can only get them from "Motorsave" in Swindon. The Millers website list stockists. They do a mineral, semi-synth and full-synth. I think the most expensive as only just over £20 when I last looked.
Apparently the HDi oil filters are finer so it might be worth using them as well.
Simon
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks simon
Well ill remember that for next time its a good quality oil ive had put in its 10W/40 semi synthetic
pete.............