Gear change trouble after clutch renewal ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marcus

Gear change trouble after clutch renewal ?

Post by marcus »

I have had a new clutch fitted in a 1995 ZX 1.4 just over a week ago. It was immediately noticeable that the bite point was pretty low (which I guess is expected). What also appears to be a problem is the gear change. It was smooth throughout the gears before the clutch change, now it is 'notchy'& snatching in all gears, frequently balking (just not going into without repeating the attempt) into first and nearly always 'snicking' the gears in reverse. It didn't do any of this before.
Can anyone advise what I should look at or information to go back to the garage with?
Also, the clutch cable is the so called 'auto adjust' - how can this be adjusted for a higher bite point to ensure that the clutch is releasing fully ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Definitely sounds as though the clutch needs adjustment. How you do it on a 1.4 I haven't a clue.
Jeremy
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

i believe the clutch is adjusted at the pedal, just trying to remember witout the use of my haynes manual, i the bite is measured by the distance between the floor and the pedal i can remember the picture of the pedal with a ruler against it.... does this jog any memories?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

That sounds like the suggested method of knowing what the adjsutement is what it should be - same in fact as 1.9D - but how you adjust it I do no know. May be on the pedal - old 1.9D is at the gearbox end under the air cleaner - just tighten a nut a few turns.
Jeremy
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

if this hasnt been resolved by the time i get home i'll look at mr haynes
marcus

Post by marcus »

I couldn't find it in my Haynes - perhaps you have an older edition.
As I mentioned, it's an auto adjust so there is no nut to adjust at the clutch end.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

humm, dont know. my car it late 95 - 96 so would have thought it was the same
marcus

Post by marcus »

Yeas the measurement is the same - but how is it adjusted ???
marcus

Post by marcus »

Sorry - "Yes...."
damienthorn

Post by damienthorn »

Have you checked that the clutch cable has been connected back properly to the clutch lever at the gearbox? The cable could also be stretched which wouldn't have been obvious with your old clutch.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think its a bit like metrocities(boo boo hiss hiss) if you look under car on ledge at front of front sub frame you sould see cable laying along the ledge,there will be section of cable with a bubber gaitor on i may be wrong but i think you get hold of cable each side of gaitor pull the two sides away from each outher if that dont work no idea regards malcolm