Exhaust System ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Exhaust System ?

Post by Twiss »

Hello People
I've been looking at demon tweeks and have found that they do racing exhaust silencers which replaces the oringnal boxs ( there universal )if I used these on my 1.9 TD ZX instead of the orignal boxs, would I lose power / gain power ?
And would any thing else happen
Thanks
Twiss
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The exhaust on the TD is a 2 inch bore exhaust as standard and its not very restrictive if it was restrictive you would end up with more turbo lag than you already have and poor fuel economy to boot.
A "racing" exhaust is typcially just more noisy and some of them aren't particularly free flowing either, best to stick with standard equipment in this case. I've seen some "racing" / "performance" exhausts which were a small bore apart from the last 6 inches where they go (stupid) big bore, they look like you've got a baked bean tin on the end of exhaust.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If its the noise you're after I think you will be dissappointed as the turbo does a good job of mashing up the pulses and is quite a good silencer in its own right.
Certainly some tuners say there is nothing to be gained over using a standard exhaust on 16 valve BX as it flows well. In fact the same system after the front pipe are used on BX TD. As the performance matches well between BX and ZX TD's I would have thought the standard exhaust was good.
Jeremy
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

ok thanks for the input, I won't bother with it then. if the TD is a straight through exhaust then why do people get a serbring back box ? does it help with any but noise?
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

A lot of the performance mods that people do (mostly boy racers) have no positive effect on the performance of the car. I've heard loads of really noisy exhausts that have made the cars they were attached to no faster. I've also seen some VERY stiffly sprung cars that bunny hop over each and every bump, I doubt they go round corners better than they did on standard springs.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I noticed that the turbo makes a good job of silencing the exhaust, When the box fell off my old 1.9D it made a hell of a racket. When the same thing happened to my TD, I didnt even notice! Personally I wreckon "performance" big bore exhausts are just some way of letting boy raycers make up for other inadequate things.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thats about right!
Proper tuning is a skilled art and the first thing to identify is what currently is the limiting factor on your car and attack that - and then keep on doing the same process. If you don't do it in this order you will do the work and still have the same restriction.
Jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Its true about the size of the pipe system being at 2" dia, but its all very well having this size pipe but what about the rear silencer which is a large baffle type silencer not a straight through as some of these go faster silencers. Then allthough they may have a slightly small through pipe they won't be any smaller than the pipe in the standard silencer.
So I would think they would flow better, although the sound is naff.
My son has just removed his Stainless system from his Pug, the pipe sizes are the same etc, but as I said the sound was naff just sound deep, no roar or bark as you get with Petrol engines.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The rear silencer is a LARGE silencer, it isn't restrictive at all. Modern exhausts are designed to be both very free flowing and quiet, if you gained 1hp by changing your back box for a straight through one I'd be very suprised indeed.
Try it and find out if you don't believe me. I know that when I took the CAT off my Xantia TD, it made a big difference to low down torque (beneath the turbo band) but once you got into the turbo band there was no difference whatsoever.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

The standard back box has intrustions into the path of the exhaust. It doesnt flow very well, but at least its quiet. I have replaced mine with a 2.5" straight through and removed the middle silencer also. I couldnt say if it has had a good effect on the power, but it doesmake the car sound like a tractor!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

dunno if its any help but my bro's just fitted a after market exhaust to his 306 TD & with that you can hear its deeper at higher revs & he reports response from the turbo feels sharper. I'll get the make/model off him tomorrow.
I have a laser back box fitted to the ZX. It has a mild steel box with a stainless, 100mm (4") tailpipe. Its bigger & heavier than the standard item too, the silencer is about twice the size. Its burbles away quite happly but is not that noisey to get you noticed. The tail pipe is not huge either, but look right for the back of the car.
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

That's one of those exhausts that looks like its got a baked bean tin stuck on the end of it...
Its <i>pretending</i> to be a big bore exhaust.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Ross where did you get your laser exhaust back box from?
Thanks
Twiss
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Ross you haven't a Scooby engine in that ZX hidden away have you ??????
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Kowalski :- Eh?
Twiss :- Good old eBay :D
sooty :- Na but I got it cheaper, brand new, than a standard volcane style jobbie.