Camera question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Camera question

Post by np »

This is`nt another rant about speed camera`s,as its all been said before.[:D]
But what are these new camera`s that seem to be poping up everywhere?About 3/4 ft taller than the Gatso`s,with a much smaller yellow box on the top.Are they speed camera`s?Around my area they seem to be on bus lanes,traffic lights,high streets,100 yds in front of existing camera`s.Sometimes with the white markers on the roads,sometimes without.
Are they replacing the Gatso`s,or are they for something else?[:)]
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Sounds like they could be the new digital gatso?
Nobody in their right mind would paint anything bright yellow and stick it on a pole. (note camera pratnerships are not in their right mind [;)])
Trafficmaster repainted all their equipment pale green because it was being mistaken for SPECS when SPECS and trafficmaster used blue poles.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Is it, by any chance, one of these?
http://www.redspeed-int.com/en/products_redspeed.htm
Have a read if you feel the need for a good vomiting session.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thats the ones Dervdonkey,bloody things[:(!].Will have to watch out for them.I presume they are fitted higher up than a normal Gatso to deter people from hanging car tyres around them & ...
Many thanks.[:)]
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="red"><i>http://www.redspeed-int.com/en/products_redspeed.htm
Have a read if you feel the need for a good vomiting session.</i></font id="red">
Quite so. But after watching the Despatches documentary tonight on Ch.4, about the deliberate lies, media-manipulation, dirty tricks and deception applied by the government party throughout the recent UK general election -- and putting it together with all their other megalomanic and control-freakish antics -- this added blast of Stazi Statist surveillance comes, alas, as no surprise.
peter1138
My Cars:

Post by peter1138 »

Ah, so is digital photography now submissible as evidence in court?
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peter1138</i>

Ah, so is digital photography now submissible as evidence in court?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">For a summary offence it always has been.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I presume they are fitted higher up than a normal Gatso to deter people from hanging car tyres around them & ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's about right. They're mind-bogglingly expensive devices, far more so than a conventional Gatso. Around £75K a pop, I think.
I'll come clean - I used to work for the now defunct Monitron International who originally developed these things, although I never had any involvement with the so-called "enforcement" products. Towards the end of my brief time there (the very worst company I've ever worked for, quite apart from the speed cams, they got what they deserved) I was involved in a meeting where certain aspects of the RedSpeed unit relating to HO type approval were discussed. For various reasons I can't reveal that information here, and I don't know if the issue was ever resolved (apparently the new company is just as sloppy as Monitron were, so there's a good chance it wasn't) but if anyone here gets a ticket from one of these babies, well, you know where to find me.
Back to the start - apparently, during the initial trials of RedSpeed, three of these things were installed in Ulster. Two were 'necklaced' in the usual way. The third one apparently 'captured' somebody with access to somewhat more powerful pyrotechnics - to be precise, a small explosive charge attached to a 47Kg propane cylinder strapped to the camera mount. The camera was returned in flatpack kit form, together with a request to develop an armour plated version...
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

75K a pop!?!?!? Surely now that means that one camera costs more than the total cost of a traffic officer! That's just plain wrong. All cameras should be binned, and the money put back into patrol officers.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

If they've gone digital, surely they can link up to the DVLA and help track the thousands of insured drivers on our roads? Or non-tax payers?
Personally I still don't understand the "Gatso terrorist" response. Maybe it's just because I don't encounter camera's very often and most of the ones I've seen of late have been in very sensible places (like the approach to a junction on an A road).
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I'd have to admit that where I live the cameras are only placed where they are actually needed and aren't just out to make revenue, but its not the same everywhere. Durham Constabulary have no fixed cameras at all, they're the next police force south from where I live (I'm policed by Northumbria Police).
Overall, up here the attitude to speeding is sensible. Some years back Northumbria used to run quite a few unmarked cars and pull over speeding drivers on the A1 but I haven't seen it happen for a few years, not since the cameras were introduced.
If I was cynical I might say that there is no point in trying to catch uninsured drivers because they have no money to pay the fines and can be difficult to track anyway because they aren't always registed correctly.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If they've gone digital, surely they can link up to the DVLA and help track the thousands of insured drivers on our roads? Or non-tax payers?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm sure it's being looked at. As of a year ago, these particular cameras did not have any ANPR capability - but they DO have the (fully implemented) capability of streaming live video via ISDN dial-up, and plenty of capacity for additional features. The control gear is in a roadside cabinet rather than the camera head, lots of space.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

<font color="green">If ubiquitous surveillance is such a good thing, then why don't all the members of cabinet, police chiefs and top civil servants set a good example by getting themselves chip implanted, with each one being followed everywhere by a mini-drone with nightsights. The uncensored results could become a popular unreality tv show.</font id="green">