Xantia relays

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Attitude_Adjuster
My Cars:

Xantia relays

Post by Attitude_Adjuster »

Can anyone pass on a list of the electrical relays and their location for a '96 Xantia 1.9D?
Both dipped beams are U/S. Fuses and bulbs are good and the switch *feels* OK so I figure my next port of call should be the relay. All thoughts/advice gratefully received.
A_A
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There are no relays in the standard headlights circuit.
A very common problem is corroded/burnt wiring at the bulb connector itself - on both headlamps. Often a crisp, burnt & perished cable insulation instantly tells you.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Anders,
I think there are relays in the Xantia headlamp circuit. I'll check the BOL later, but I remember looking at this when I got my first Xantia, and though someone had turned the lights off first time I drove it in the dark... :-)) No idea where they are though!
Update: Well, the BOL lists Main and Dip relays, but they are not shown on the wiring diagrams (mind you that doesn't mean they're not there...)! Each side runs on a different fuse, so you can rule out a fuse failure, so looks like you might be looking at a switch failure - they're not exactly known for their reobustness after all!
Attitude_Adjuster
My Cars:

Post by Attitude_Adjuster »

Thanks for the replies guys.
Anders, I don't think it can be the wiring as the dips come on if I flick to full beam (along with the full beam natch[:D]) Richard, my logic followed yours. I checked with the local Citroen dealer and they list a dipped beam relay though they didn't have one in stock, couldn't tell me what it looked like or where it was!
A little more digging required methinks!
A_A